For many football fanatical students, missing out on watching your team play live is an unfortunate sacrifice of university term time. Perhaps those of you missing the ritual should consider visiting Meadow Lane, the home of Notts County, to take in 90 minutes of League 1 football.

It may seem a world away from the Premier League comfort you may be used to, but  there are worse ways to spend a Saturday.

Getting there

Meadow Lane is located in the Meadows area of the city. It will take 40 minutes to walk from Lenton, or you can take the number 4 bus (from Cornerhouse) towards Clifton and get off at Eugene Gardens at the end of County Road.

Finding a good restaurant or pub can be difficult.

This area of the city is alive with sporting attractions: Colwick Park, Trent Bridge and the City Ground are all in close proximity of Meadow Lane. The downside of the area is that apart from these places, it’s largely awash with industrial parks and high rise office blocks, so finding a good restaurant or pub can be difficult.

If you fancy a drink then finding somewhere on the way might be preferable.

There are a few pubs near the stadium, guaranteed to be packed with County regulars. Some may find this environment a bit intimidating, so if you fancy a drink then finding somewhere on the way might be preferable.

Food and drink

The FMC (Fellows, Morton, Clayton) and the Canalhouse are roughly halfway on the route and are located next door to each other on Canal Street. Hooters is also always popular with sports spectators in the area. It depends whether you prioritise the quality of your pint, or the size of the breasts of the person serving you.

It depends whether you prioritise the quality of your pint, or the size of the breasts of the person serving you.

Food and drink inside the ground is reasonably priced if not cheap. A 500ml bottle of lager will cost you £3.20 (a pint of the same lager at the Emirates will set you back £4.60). Meal deals are on offer such as a burger, crisps and a beer for £7.

Tickets

You don’t need to be a member, and can buy tickets online through the club’s website. Tickets are priced at £15 for 16-21 year olds. Or you can buy your ticket at the stadium on the day of the game, something unthinkable in the upper echelons of the football league.

It’s a chance to watch live football when otherwise you wouldn’t be doing so.

If you want to get amongst the more vocal fans and join in with the chants then it would be best to get a ticket for a seat in the loftily named ‘Kop Stand’. If you value the view of the game more than the singing, or want to get close to the directors and press boxes, then the Derek Pavis stand would be best.

If you want a more sedated atmosphere with not much of a view then look for the Haydyn Green family stand.

All of that aside, what you really go for is to watch a game of football. Watching a game where you know few of the twenty two players provides an interesting perspective from which to analyse the game.

This is largely because you’re free of the little prejudices you have about players when you watch two more renowned opponents. Above all though, it’s a chance to watch live football when otherwise you wouldn’t be doing so. That alone makes Meadow Lane worth a visit.

Dan Zeqiri

Follow Impact Sport on Twitter and Facebook.  

UoN Among Those Universities Failing Disabled Students

The Joy Of The Non-League