Year after year, The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show promises a dazzling spectacle of beautifully sculpted women strutting alongside the world’s top performers, adorned in jewels, glitter and feathers. But unfortunately this year the star power seemed to dwindle. Despite a fairly successful departure from years of recycled themes, it all seemed a little anti-climactic – read on to find out what Impact Style made of the lingerie extravaganza.

Close ups of this teary doe-eyed stunner seemed to unintentionally trivialise her profession.

One of the biggest problems was the one dimensional portrayal of the girls. Rumoured favourite for an angel contract, Lais Ribeiro’s homage for an injury she sustained during last year’s show’s rehearsals was simply bizarre. A booking in the show can incomparably boost a model’s career, but Lais’s break moment was presented as tragically unfulfilled, as close ups of this teary doe-eyed stunner seemed to unintentionally trivialise not only her profession, but could have also certainly passed as a parody for some heart wrenching child abuse appeal.

a

It’s easy to simply enjoy ogling at the freakishly beautiful creatures and not take the theatrics too seriously

If you appreciate that like much of the fashion industry the show is merely an over-priced fantastical advertisement, it’s easy to simply enjoy ogling at the freakishly beautiful creatures and not take the theatrics too seriously. But even a few of the contracted girls didn’t seem wholly committed to advocating the forced ideal of a happy, effortlessly sexy ideal.  Ex-angel Erin Heatherton looked just plain sad on the runway as well as in back stage pictures, whilst angel Behati Prinsloo and second-time walker Cara Delivigne seemed to slyly mock the VS rituals.

What was pleasant to see was major sweetheart and newest addition to the celestial crop of angels Karlie Kloss settling wonderfully into her role: with one of the most powerful walks (a talent which far transcends not just the VSFS but the fashion industry as a whole), she truly exhibits the makings of a star. Her Snow Angels look was simply divine and her choppy bob on the runway amongst a sea of hair extensions was a delight.

b

Adriana Lima, the last in a disappearing generation of supers, was as ever the show stealer and maintained the high energy the show demands. In scarlet feathers head to toe opening Parisian Nights, her look far surpassed the dodgy musical notes and Eiffel Tower hats adorned by girls who followed suit. Doutzen Kroes – fellow veteran angel – also shone, perfecting her flirtatious walk and working a giant feather boa as only a model of her experience knows how.  Her figure more athletic than most (for her nonetheless tiny frame), also offers up a little more diversity. Where this is concerned in terms of ethnicity, it’s reassuring to see a wider representation; newcomers included Cindy Bruna, Maria Borges and our own home grown Malaika Firth. Regulars Joan Smalls, Ming Xi and Sui He also featured again this year.

c

PINK was quite frankly an aesthetic nightmare and design disaster as always. What’s freaky is that the looks just look like sexualised baby grows or some other kind of infant staple. The ‘OMG’ necklace was more than a little cringe-worthy.

Swanepoel was breathtaking but sadly her overall look was a little lacklustre for what should have been the highlight of the show.

The Fantasy Bra this year was a particularly stunning piece and was entrusted to South African up-and-coming super star Candice Swanepoel. Normally awarded based on seniority, most fans expected Kroes to be given given the honour, whose tenure at VS has endured far longer. Regardless, Swanepoel was breathtaking but sadly her overall look was a little lacklustre for what should have been the highlight of the show; a bejewelled crown was originally meant to top the outfit but after styling difficulties, could not be realistically considered.

As a fashion show, Birds of Paradise exceeded design expectations with a fluttering array of tropical wings, but it probably wasn’t enough to salvage VSFS 2013.

Overall, the show was less impressive than has been in previous years. Interviews seemed to be merely filler as the girls gave the same monotonous answers. The only vaguely interesting thing that was too briefly mentioned was an interest in charity, which could have been the start of creating a more favourable image of these women who are portrayed as relying merely on their genetically-gifted laurels. As a fashion show, Birds of Paradise exceeded design expectations with a fluttering array of tropical wings, but it probably wasn’t enough to salvage VSFS 2013. I’d suggest skipping the over-commercialised contrived veneer of the actual broadcast and stick to the still images to fulfil the craving for guilt induced entertainment.

Amrit Santos

Follow mpact Style on Twitter and Facebook

Images: vogue.com

Review - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Textbooks and Turnover: Nottingham's student money makers