Before I knew anything about the plot of The Grand Budapest Hotel I knew about the cast. Why? Because it is the cast. Ralph Fiennes as an eccentric concierge, Tilda Swinton as his one time lover. Other enticing names on the cast list are Lea Seydoux, Saoirse Ronan, Edward Norton and Bill Murray, to name a few, and only a few, because believe me the list goes on.

Directed by Wes Anderson, the director responsible for  the oscar nominated, bizarre but brilliant story of teenage romance, Moonrise Kingdom. You can expect his quirky style and eccentricities at every turn throughout.

The cast are what initially drew me in, but, they also makes me wary. Many a time has a director assembled their ‘dream team’ of actors, only to neglecting to make use of their full potential.

However, with the enticing plot of family rivalries over inheritance, the theft of a priceless renaissance painting and murder, I am positive that Anderson will ensure none of his cast remain in the background, twiddling their thumbs.

It is a film that seems impossible to imprint expectations, because if Anderson is true to form, he will not be following in the footsteps of another director. The trailer alone exhibits a style that will be too gaudy and excessive for some, but for me, that is reason enough to anticipate a strong piece of cinema.

The Grand Budapest Hotel will open the 64th Berlin International Film festival is set for release in March.

Lucy O’Boyle

Click here to see more of our Most Anticipated Films of 2014.

What films are you looking forward to in 2014? Let us know via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment.

Armed Forces Visit UoN 15 Times in Two Years

Obeying the Trend