With the New Year around the corner, Impact Style takes a look at what to look forward to in the coming months. Tara Bell kicks us off with Balmain’s SS14′ campaign featuring Rihanna.
Rihanna and fashion just seem to go hand in hand- not only does she have her own hugely successful line with high-street brand River Island under her oh-so-stylish belt, but she now can boast being the new face of industry giant Balmain’s Spring/Summer 2014 collection. Far from being her first venture into the world of the fashion elite, Rihanna has previously starred in ad campaigns for Gucci, advocating their ‘Tattoo heart’ campaign to benefit UNICEF, as well as appearing in an infamous video commercial for Armani jeans in 2012. Clearly, when it comes to branding, Rihanna’s face, or in Armani’s case, body, is a sure-fire hit.

rihanna 11

Ever an advocate of social media, Rihanna broke the news of her new role as the ‘BALMAIN woman’ via Twitter on December 17th and took to Instagram in order to post images that will be realeased as adverts in the upcoming year. The photos feature the star doing her signature sultry poses against monochrome backgrounds that include striped tiling and a faintly graffiti-ed white wall; either way, the absence of an elaborate set in favour of striking simplicity confirm that the focus lies on Rihanna: she lets Balmain’s designs do the talking. The clothes themselves also follow the dual-toned vibe, with pieces such as a chunky white knit sweater, a black leather jumpsuit and a hounds-tooth skirt and jacket combo. However, a pop of colour is retained in the initial images posted by Rihanna, which reveal her wearing a robe-style pink and white hounds-tooth ensemble and a denim two-part piece with gold embellishments. The retro-feel to the collection is accentuated by Balmain’s bold, structured, statement style: a look that is perfectly complimented by Rihanna’s own daring attitude to fashion.
Rihanna 33

In speaking of his reasons for choosing Rihanna to front the campaign, Balmain’s creative director Oliver Rousteing raves about the star: “in front of the camera, she makes you feel like she is the only girl in the world[…] When the woman that inspires you wears your creations, your vision feels complete”, adding “not compromising, fresh, modern, the icon of my generation, Rihanna embodies my vision of Balmain in this new campaign”. The adverts, shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin and styled by the singer’s personal stylist Mel Ottenberg, will be debuted in magazines and billboards worldwide in January 2014, so keep your eyes peeled. We can’t wait.

Tara Bell

Image Credits: Balmain.com

Follow Impact Style on Facebook and Twitter

Review - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

TV Review - Sherlock: 'Many Happy Returns'