Several weeks back the official teaser for Godzilla landed, and I’ve been watching it almost daily ever since. 

The trailer doesn’t give much away in regards to the story – although I’d be concerned if you couldn’t guess the basics by now – but we do get some teasing glimpses of the monster himself and some of principal cast, including Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Olsen.

So what should we take away from this trailer? Well, the tone appears to be darker than the 1998 Roland Emmerich version. Although, as we’ve been fooled once this year by some misleading marketing – where was our pensive and contemplative Man of Steel movie the trailer promised? – I’m remaining sceptical as to whether the dark atmosphere will remain in the completed film.

Godzilla’s rampage also looks to be of a size and scope hitherto unseen – taking the lead from Cloverfield perhaps? Coupled with some incredible CGI and breathtaking cinematography, this trailer has really gotten me excited.

Godzilla is British director Gareth Edwards’ first foray into big budget waters after making waves with his impressive debut feature, 2010’s Monsters. Edwards crafted a tightly paced thriller with breathtaking visual effects on a very limited budget. Now we get to see what he can do with a bigger budget at his disposal.

I can’t wait.

Sam Todd

Click here for more from Trailer Watch.

What did you think of the Godzilla trailer? Let us know via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Premier League Predictions 2013/14

Review - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

1. January 1, 2014 at 16:41 — Reply

Similar to how director Peter Jackson approached the Fellowship of the Ring series (not the Hobbit), Gareth Edwards seems to have been able to thread the needle of creating a blockbuster, accessible to the masses, while being true to the source material. In this case; the original Godzilla.

We wont know for sure until the Mat release, but the consensus among the community is it can’t be worse than the 1998 Roland Emmerich version.

2. John
    January 1, 2014 at 21:17 — Reply

The world ends, Godzilla begins!