The Varsity American Football fixture between the Nottingham Outlaws and NTU Renegades this Friday (31st January) has been postponed due to safety concerns over the stand at the Harvey Hadden Stadium in Nottingham, where the game was due to take place. 

The game will still occur on Friday, but will be a BUCS fixture and will not count towards the Varsity series. Spectators have been told not to attend and the buses running to the stadium have been cancelled.

Impact understands that poor weather conditions due for Friday and a lack of PA helped inform the decision not to relocate supporters outside of the stand.

The Rugby League fixture scheduled for Friday 7th February must also now be in doubt, with only a week in between the fixtures for the issue to be resolved.

Students’ Union Sports Officer Tom Hicks told Impact “We are disappointed of course to postpone the American Football Varsity event, however it is of utmost importance that we preserve the safety of the students who would be spectating at this event and that must come first above else. However we are confident that we shall be able to find an alternative date to play the Varsity fixture as we recognise it as an important event in the Varsity calendar.”

Jonnie Barnett

Preview: Six Nations Set To Impress For Another Season

Australian Open 2014 – Men’s Singles Review