Appropriately named ‘Sun Structures’ sees Temples add light to 2014 with a little help from their 60s friends…

The Kettering four-piece’s debut offering is one of this year’s most highly anticipated releases, on a personal note if anything. While Sun Structures may have failed to offer much in terms of innovation, it is an album frontman James Edward Bagshaw and co. really can be proud of. Following on from where Tame Impala left off with Lonerism, Temples seem to be channelling The Beatles’ most psychedelic back catalogue, fused with melodies that would not be out of place in a Beach Boys tune.

Opening track, ‘Shelter Song’ sets the tone perfectly with a riff that could be the perfect accompaniment to a sunset slot on the Pyramid Stage. If these guys continue to play their cards right, that could be a very realistic possibility.

Having had the chance to interview guitarist and keyboardist  Adam Smith a couple of months ago, it was clear that Temples are a band that relish playing live and that energy really does transpire onto their debut record.  Smith was also keen play down any kind of rivalry with fellow psych revivalists, Tame Impala and Toy, citing them as influences rather than adversaries.

Temples’ real strength lies in their frontman’s ability to write one hell of a melody. ‘Mesmerise’ springs to mind immediately. Aptly named too, as Bagshaw’s wistfully captivating vocals wrap itself rumbling bass line which will undoubtedly make you want to march around trying to emulate Marc Bolan.

It’s difficult to find constructive criticism for this record, not because it is totally flawless but because you find yourself having a dig at the same thing you’re praising them for and while some may utilise Temples’ lack of variation as a starting point for criticism, you can’t really  deny that these guys have a clear blueprint. Surely that’s a good thing, right?

Escapism seems to be a recurring theme throughout Sun Structures. Be it the frequent nod to 60s backwards guitar riffs or Bagshaw’s lyrics which ask to be taken away “to the twilight zone”. Wherever it is Temples are wanting to go, Sun Structures is without doubt an album that makes you want to pick flowers in a field and tag along with them.

Ishmael Anwuri

…Ishmael is listening to Bombay Bicycle Club – ‘Luna’…

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Facebook and Twitter

Floody Hell: Why Are We Having Such Extreme Weather?

SU Council Passes Motion to Support Asylum Seekers Paying ‘Home’ Student Fees

1. Brian Storm
    February 25, 2014 at 17:53 — Reply

Another great review from Ishmael Anwuri, I dont know the guy but his recommendations are always spot on!