Only 6.2% of University of Nottingham (UoN) graduates were unemployed after six months of searching for jobs. This is against recent statistics released by Totaljobs.com showing  that 40% of university graduates will be searching for unemployment after six months.

The UK job search site has found that a third of UK graduates will apply for at least 20 jobs or more each month and  that the majority of graduates are willing to travel 35 miles on average for a job interview, with one in six prepared to travel over 100 miles to secure a job. A quarter of university graduates will also still be job hunting after a year.

“No one is guaranteed employment when they leave university and that is appalling – it makes us question, is the annual £9000 worth it?”

Second-year Sociology and Social Policy student, Hannah Shoesmith, told Impact: “No one is guaranteed employment when they leave university and that is appalling – it makes us question, is the annual £9000 worth it?

Although a degree isn’t just about the job at the end, unfortunately I think these figures will deter people from applying to university”.

“Only 6.2% of UoN 2011-2012 graduates were still  looking for work six months after graduation”.

Yet UoN Careers and Employability Service, which continues to support students even once they have graduated from the University, informed Impact that “only 6.2% of UoN 2011-2012 graduates were still  looking for work six months after graduation”.

Sharon Bell, Associate Director for the Careers and Employability Service, therefore argued that these statistics should be reassuring to all applicant students.

She also noted: “Employers recognise that a Nottingham student will leave [the University] with a strong academic background as well as the important skills that are developed from areas such as being involved in clubs and societies, volunteering and undertaking work experience.

Within the Careers Service we are also doing a lot of work with small companies locally which will open up opportunities for internships for both graduates and undergraduates during the summer months”.

“Whilst we’re lucky enough to go to a university with an incredible reputation for employability, the general trend is still quite sad to see.”

The fact that the University was named top graduate employer by some of the biggest UK employers at the beginning of this year suggests that UoN students should not be overly concerned by negative employment predictions.

However, Alex Young, a second year English student, does conclude: “Whilst we’re lucky enough to go to a university with an incredible reputation for employability, the general trend is still quite sad to see”.

Milly Scott-Steele

Image: Matt Buck via Flickr

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook.

UoN Sleep-Out Raises Money for Homeless LGBT Youth

Housing Surplus In Nottingham As Less Students Live In Lenton