Supersize Me

Supersize Me follows a dual plot: an investigation into the disgracefully avaricious fast­ food industry and director Morgan Spurlock’s personal journey to only eat McDonald’s for one whole month. Both elements are utterly engrossing and shocking, truly plunging down the disgusting rabbit hole and topped off with Spurlock’s quirky touch.

The various exercises, interviews and experiments regarding fast­ food and health are hard to stomach. They reveal problems that lie deep in the American psyche and involve psychological, legal, biological and social aspects in equal measure.

Spurlock’s own experiment is the most engrossing part. His challenge of man vs. food turns into an experiment that reveals the life threatening effects of McDonald’s in real time. It also functions as an action road trip, travelling from coast to coast and meeting employees and customers from all walks of life. Supersize Me is baffling, repulsive, ridiculous but also brilliant.

Tom Welshman

Doc Blackfish

Blackfish

The killer whale has always been at risk from the commercial interest of humans; for their meat, cosmetic uses, character (who could forget Free Willy, 1,2,3, and er…4?) and, since the 20th Century, as entertainment in marine parks.

In the late 1960s, Shamu, the killer whale was brought to San Diego SeaWorld and captivated the hearts of audiences. SeaWorld Execs quickly realised their profit-making potential and sent teams on disarrayed missions to capture these mammals, keeping the public unaware of how the stars of the shows were being brought before them.

This documentary focuses on one whale in particular, Tilly, linked to the deaths of three whale trainers and kept in captivity almost his entire life. Blackfish explores this treatment by SeaWorld through the eyes of his trainers and scientific experts. Brace yourself for the regretful tears of grown-men and know that you will never visit a marine park again after watching.

Lucy O’Boyle

Doc Imposter

The Imposter

The Imposter tells the story of young Texan boy Nicholas Barclay, who went missing in 1995 and was supposedly found three years later. His story is told through archive footage and interviews with family members and a mysterious figure. As it progresses, the film transforms into a high-stakes drama, which documents how a traumatic event has shaped people’s lives, while also raising pertinent questions not only about the nature of family but also about the limits of our own behaviour. Chilling, affecting, and gripping, this is a documentary that makes us examine and question real life, with thought-provoking results.

Alex Nicholson

Let us know your favourite documentaries via our Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment.

Weird Science, Weird Life...Face Blindness (Who Are You Again?)

VIDEO: Varsity Ice Hockey Highlights