The University Nottingham LGBT Society and Islamic Society (ISoc) have released a statement today condemning Nottingham Tab reporters for attempting to create an ‘antagonistic atmosphere’ between the LGBT Network and Islamic Society.

The Tab approached LGBT and Muslim students in order to obtain comments about two speakers with alleged homophobic views, that had been invited by Islamic Society as part of their Discover Islamic Week.

The two speakers questioned by the Tab Nottingham were Yusuf Chambers, who spoke at a talk titled ‘Islam 101; Everything you need to know’ on Monday 3rd March and Dr Uthman Lateef, who spoke at a talk titled ‘Paradigm of Justice’.

Students present at the event told Impact that it was suggested by reporters from the media organisation that these speakers were previously responsible for inciting hatred and encouraging homophobia. Tab reporters were also said to have sought to gauge responses from LGBT Network  and Muslim students at the University.

“There has been a rise in anti-Muslim sentiment and attacks on Muslim students in general”.

Lucy Wake, LGBT Campaigns Officer, told Impact that the Tab reporters asked “some [LGBT] members…whether they agreed with the homophobic rhetoric of the speakers during the event”.

One Muslim student said of one Tab reporter: “[They] wanted to know my opinion on the homosexuality issue as a member of ISoc, and gave me a back story on Dr Uthman Lateef before doing so”.

Shabina Raja, NUS Black Students’ Campaign Committee Member and member of ISoc, told Impact that she was concerned by the fact that “when Tab reporters were asking Muslim students for comments, they did not explain who they were”. She also claimed: “Nationally there has been a rise in anti-Muslim sentiment and attacks on Muslim students in general, which are driven by groups like Student Rights”.

“It is sad and deplorable that such smear tactics were used”.

In light of the allegations made by the Tab Nottingham, Dr. Uthman told ISoc: “It is sad and deplorable that such smear tactics were used even in an event whose topic sought to allay antagonisms”.

A Tab reporter also approached both speakers at the end of the events and asked them questions about their views. The Islamic Society state that even though “both speakers initially welcomed [the questions], it was very apparent that questions were being asked only to provoke certain responses”.

“It was an attempt to provoke an antagonistic atmosphere between the two groups”.

The LGBT Network and Islamic Society claim that the allegations made by the Tab were simply not true and regard their questioning as “an attempt to provoke an antagonistic atmosphere between the two groups”.

“There was no threat to safety…sexual orientation and gender identity were [also not] discussed”.

Lucy Wake said: “Our main priority is to ensure the safety of LGBT Students at the University of Nottingham, but in this instance, there was no threat to safety…sexual orientation and gender identity were [also not] discussed [at these talks].

There have been cases with religious societies where we have not been able to comfortably support and publicise events due to a speaker’s attitude towards sexuality, but when this happens our committees engage in an active dialogue and the experience has always been positive. In this case, I personally feel as though the Islamic Society has been unduly targeted”.

“The Islamic Society feels like our guests and speakers have been unfairly targeted”.

Mohammad Fageir, ISoc President commented: “The Islamic Society feels like our guests and speakers have been unfairly targeted. Against a backdrop of rising Islamophobia, we hope that those involved may understand why such attacks were problematic and contributed to a sense of marginalisation and discomfort towards many Muslim students on campus”.

“Both groups have actively coexisted for years without conflict, and will continue to do so in spite of any attempts to cause a rift between us”, added Nayaab Sattar, Discover Islam Week Co-ordinator.

Kateryna Rolle

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

Community Candidate Question Time

Weird Science, Weird Life...A Real Sixth Sense?

1. Kiefer

Heaven forfend that anyone try and call someone out on homophobic sentiment! Religion doesn’t exempt you from having your views criticised.

2. Julie

Hm. Not that I’m a fan of the Student Rights organisation, but surely on a university campus of all places we need to be free to call out homophobic and/or sexist doctrines, whether Islamic, Christian, or secular?

3. Harry

I’m sorry – this article needs some critical analysis and balance! Student Rights have always been clear that they are linked to the Henry Jackson Society – they share the same office and HJS is mentioned on their website going back long before Channel 4 “exposed” this link. It’s scaremongering and a smear to describe Henry Jackson Society simply as “right-wing” when actually MPs from the three main Westminster parties support it (e.g. Dominic Raab MP, Stephen Hammond MP, Hazel Blears MP, Ben Bradshaw MP, Dan Rogerson MP) – it is quite mainstream. Furthermore Shabina is being disingenuous to suggest that Student Rights are uniquely opposed to Islamic speakers – actually they have opposed speakers from the British far-right, and campaigned against misogyny in Christian and non-religious student groups.

4. Mathew

Hi everyone,
    As a Muslim who has friends who are lgb, I would just like to applaud ISoc and LGBT for how they handled the situation. I think releasing a joint statement was a great idea and shows that the two are co-existing peacefully. As someone who used to work for the tab, they will be deceitful get a story. Well done, guys! 😀

5. Chris

I am someone who attended the event in question (I’m non lgbt and not a Muslim)… Like lucy said the event had nothing to do with sexuality and yet witnessed ‘journalists’ coming in late and asking very probing statements in an attempt to get a certain answer. well done for how you handled it lgbt network and Shabina.

6. To Julie

“Calling out homophobia is one of the main concerns of the LGBT network, whether it is linked to religion or not. As noted in the statement, we have consciously not supported events & speakers in the past due to their homophobic views, most recently when the Christian Union invited a speaker in for their “Is God Anti-Gay?” event, which proved to be a wise decision because the speaker was actively discussing sexuality.

We were satisfied in this case that there was to be no express discussion of sexual orientation and/or gender identity during these talks so had no feeling either way, and indeed were very grateful to ISoc for their cooperation in allaying those fears.

Also, the Union does not have a no platform policy, so unless there are likely to be breaches of Equal Opportunities policy, societies & students are entitled to free speech.

We do fully support students in calling out homophobia, biphobia and transphobia and in fact actively encourage it, as we do ourselves. We also urge anyone with concerns about such activity to contact us at [email protected], or the welfare team at [email protected] if it has personally affected you.”

7. captain sensible

shouldn’t you be focusing on something you can prove rather than slagging off your rival with stuff you can’t back up?

and you accuse them of sensationalism

8. captain sensible

journalism on people asking questions. good one.