Many students meet their other halves at university, be it through their course or by living in the same accommodation. But a new way of finding companionship has arisen through dating apps. According Sean Rad, co-founder of hugely popular Tinder, he gets “hundreds and thousands” of emails a day telling him about the relationships and engagements made over the app. However, are students using these apps to find love or just a bit of fun? Nottingham students tell Impact about their experiences…

Tinder allows users to connect with their Facebook profiles and are shown matches based on location and similar likes and interests. “I started using Tinder just before Christmas because I got the impression that lots of people were on it,” Nottingham student Alice* tells Impact. “I thought, if it’s an opportunity to meet someone new, why not?”

It appears that Alice got more than she bargained for though. “Within the first day I’d had lots of matches and had organised to meet up with a University of Nottingham medic who had similar interests to me,” she explains. “The meet up was OK, but he was a bit too “touchy feely” for me, so I didn’t message him again.”

“The meet up was OK, but he was a bit too “touchy feely” for me, so I didn’t message him again.”

One perk of a dating app for Alice was the little effort required to meet matches. “I think I’m probably quite picky, but when you’re busy at Uni and work and everything else there’s no point spending time with someone you’re uninterested in.”

However, it appears that you get to meet a few characters  while on the free dating app. One guy messaged Alice ‘Let’s cut to the chase chucky egg: add me on Snapchat and get your tits out or fuck off’ as soon as they were matched.

One guy messaged Alice, saying ‘Let’s cut to the chase chucky egg: add me on Snapchat and get your tits out or fuck off’ as soon as they were matched.

To date, Alice has had 186 matches, but only ended up talking to a handful of them.  “The numbers aren’t great! Plus, the ones you do talk to often end up saying the same thing.” She admits also recently to losing interest in the app.

It seems that the sorts of people you meet on Tinder are not the type looking for love. “I’ve met up with four guys from Tinder,” reveals Lucy*, another Nottingham student. “Unfortunately none of them have lasted.”

One awkward situation for Lucy was explaining to people the unorthodox way in which she met her matches. “It’s fairly simple to explain to people although people do look at you strangely sometimes and think it’s quite weird meeting someone you’ve never met before for a date. The dates are no different- you go for a drink or to the cinema. You’re just meeting them in person for the first time.”

The dates are no different- you go for a drink or to the cinema. You’re just meeting them in person for the first time.”

She also admits to Impact that she thinks that “it’s an interesting way of meeting people, especially if you’re the sort of person who doesn’t usually get to go out and meet people.”

Again, Lucy has had some weird experiences. “The first guy I was matched with chatted with me for about an hour then told me that he was going travelling in a couple of weeks and asked whether I wanted to meet up with him for some fun. It was a bit forward.”

Most of the students Impact spoke to say that the people they’ve met through dating apps were mostly looking for something fun. Lucy met up with four guys through the app, but tells us that her acquaintances didn’t transform to anything more serious as “they either only wanted one thing or we simply didn’t have that chemistry.”

“They either only wanted one thing or we simply didn’t have that chemistry.”

It seems that our generation look to the likes of Tinder or Grindr when they are only looking for something casual at first. If you want something more serious, then perhaps you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Caroline Chan

*Names have been changed.

online poll by Opinion Stage

Follow Impact Features on Facebook and Twitter.  

Photo Credit: Rosaura Ochoa via Compfight cc

Blue Remembered Hills @ Nottingham New Theatre Fringe Season

Impact On the Campaign Trail: Day 3