Friday Five-Way: 30th August

Manchester City vs. Stoke City – Saturday 30th August – K.O. 3pm

Prediction: HOME WIN

Odds: 1/5

Having watched the Community Shield match against Arsenal, many would be forgiven for believing that the coming season was set to be a long one for Pellegrini and co. They looked rustier and slower than the lads returning to Powerleague after a summer without kicking a ball. But while their local rivals have gone about making marquee signings, Man City have strengthened their ranks by rewarding their current stars with bumper new deals, thus leaving their tight-knit title winning core undisturbed. Mark Hughes has shown he knows Stoke’s advantage is in their size and physicality (although Man City’s defence measure in at an average 6ft 4in) and he hasn’t sought to change this too far. Rather, he has added subtle flair with astute signings such as the bargain £3m buy of Bojan Krkic. So while they won’t be easy to beat, the Etihad is a formidable arena and I can only see – HOME WIN.

Man City have strengthened their ranks by rewarding their current stars with bumper new deals, thus leaving their tight-knit title winning core undisturbed.

Norwich City vs. Bournemouth – Saturday 30th August – K.O. 3pm

Prediction: HOME WIN

Odds: 15/13

I am a massive fan of Eddie Howe and the work he is doing at Bournemouth and I think that, along with Karl Robinson at MK Dons, he is going to be the next great British manager. Norwich meanwhile are currently the highest ranked of all the relegated sides in the Championship this season and they have negotiated the transfer window well, most notably by cashing in on Robert Snodgrass and then spotting the potential in Stoke outcast Cameron Jerome and former Cherry Lewis Grabban, who are already proving their worth to the Canaries. For me, this one will be swayed by the morale boost Norwich will be enjoying from their win last weekend in the Old Farm Derby against Ipswich (the only game last week to catch us out!) – HOME WIN.

Dundee vs. Celtic – Sunday 31st August – K.O. 12.30pm

Prediction: AWAY WIN

Odds: 8/15

What has happened to Celtic? They sit down in fifth place just one above their rivals on Sunday and have had to face the stark reality of a season without the Champions League after they were dumped out by Legia Warsaw… no wait, they survived that 6-1 hammering based on the smallest, antiquated administration loophole but then fell in the next round anyway. If Ronny Deila is to keep his job he is going to need to act fast and he certainly has the squad to conquer this league (just look at last season). I think the Champions League exit will be the wake up call Celtic need – AWAY WIN.

I think the Champions League exit will be the wake up call Celtic need.

article-0-1FEA42CC00000578-638_634x407

Real Sociedad vs. Real Madrid – Sunday 31st August – K.O. 8pm

Prediction: AWAY WIN

Odds: 2/5

Last week was the opener in Spain and the ‘big 3’ were all looking to stake their early claims for the silverwear. Barça and Real started strongly but a valiant Vallecano fought bravely to keep Atléti at bay and held them to the draw. The most expensive frontline in football will be looking to build on their early success now that they can focus safe in the knowledge that their Champions League progress should be assured (along with Liverpool) based on the CL draw. Sociedad, on the other hand, are still licking their wounds from the sale of star man Griezmann to rivals Atléti. And when they lost last weekend it was as if they were playing passes to him, expecting him to still be there, expecting to wake up from the nightmare of his sale. Sociedad need to replace him fast or this could be a rough season – AWAY WIN.

BRAVEBET

Fulham vs. Cardiff City – Saturday 30th August – K.O. 3pm

Prediction: HOME WIN

Odds: 7/4

The horror story that is Fulham FC’s season may well have turned midweek when they overcame derby rivals Brentford in the Capital One Cup 1-0. A feeble scoreline admittedly but they’ve made it as the BRAVEBET because of how they played: their youth finally looked energised and creative and their shots were finally on target as £11m man McCormack netted his first for the Whites. In the league they have conceded nine and notched just two in reply, mainly due to the 5-1 drubbing by Derby last weekend. In that game Scott Parker snapped at his lacklustre team mates and that seems to have woken them up a bit. I get the feeling that they will capitalise on the rising emotions against familiar opponents Cardiff – HOME WIN.

Ben Wright

Odds sourced at www.oddschecker.com (accurate at 12.00 28.08.2014)

Check out past Friday Five-Ways here.

Follow Impact Sport on Twitter and Facebook

21-year-old Ameri-Czech student of Politics & Economics at the University of Nottingham. Sports Editor @impactmagazine. FFC worshipper. European.