Ten Perks of a Kindle

We’ve still got a month left of Summer to go and in this time we’ve been doing an assortment of things to pass the time; catching up with friends, travel, work, lazing around all day or just doing absolutely nothing. But occasionally your eyes wander and linger over the stack of paperbacks and novels that you had proudly, carefully and critically chosen to be included in your official ‘Summer Reading List…’. Yet instead of diminishing, this pile is slowly increasing, looking like they did in the bookshop as you cannot bear to crease or ruin them.

Even though I am grudgingly in possession of a Kindle, I will always prefer to hold the book copy to read from than an electric device. A story is meant to have pages so you can feel the words coming to life. A Kindle doesn’t provide the same experience, the thrill of flicking pages, the scent of new paper wafting toward you. A piece of technology doesn’t do that. But even I have to admit (albeit begrudgingly) that during Summertime, especially when the Sun is blazing down, or you’re trapped in the confines of a sweltering Train, the Kindle does have a few perks…

1] The Kindle has the capacity to contain a whole library of books and so makes for serious lightweight packing whether it’s a journey down the road or to the other side of the world.

2] You can easily juggle two reads at once without carrying around the paper copies which result in creased corners and folded pages (we all know how much we detest that).

3] The e-Reader is so discreet it can easily be slipped into your handbag and not take up much room at all. It’s definitely thinner than the thinnest paperback out there.

4] You’re not in constant fear that you will taint your paperback somehow.

5] The e-Reader is easy to read in both broad daylight and at night with no light. Meaning you can read anytime, anywhere, no hassle.

6] You can read whatever on earth you want to without being judged in public. That includes anything you feel is embarrassing from your favourite childhood fairy-tale to 50 Shades of Grey or something even more suggestive. No one’s looking, no one’s judging.

7] You automatically exude an aura of sophistication and mystique by hiding what you’re reading. Everyone is itching to know what is making your commute that slightest bit better than their own.

8] It saves you from lugging absolute paving slabs of text on an intensely hot day. I mean you try carrying around Anna Karenina in the sun, along with your sunblock, perfume, deodorant, shopping, iced coffee…

9] You’re always a simple second from being in possession of a much wanted book. It’s delivered straightaway to your device, no other effort required. There are books you’ve always wanted but never had the space for…

10] Your arm and hand supporting the read is saved from increased strain. The Kindle weighs absolutely nothing compared to holding the same paperback copy, in one hand, for the 40 minutes that makes up your journey.

There’s no denying that there are certain books you definitely want the paperback copy for; Harry Potter, Bridget Jones’ Diary, The Hunger Games… But still, the Kindle does have its perks even a physical paper-copy lover will admit that.

Happy Summer Reading.

Radhika Chond

Follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter

ArtsArts Features
  • James
    23 September 2014 at 22:09