Trailer Watch – Comic Con Previews Part Deux

Following our first installment of Comic Con trailer and preview highlights, we bring you the sequel, featuring space, cornfields and the latest in a little franchise called The Hunger Games

Interstellar 2

Interstellar

Release Date: 7th November 2014

Following his surprise appearance at Comic Con, Christopher Nolan’s upcoming film Interstellar has a new trailer. And does it approach warp speed? You bet. The sci-fi adventure chronicles the outer space voyage of engineer Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) and a team of fellow travellers (including Anne Hathaway) as they try to save humanity by doing something involving wormholes. Nolan being Nolan, further information is not exactly forthcoming.

Delving into greater detail than before, this footage shows the surface of an alien planet, and also boasts more dusty cornfields and some inspirational quotes (courtesy of ‘Professor’ Michael Caine). However, the human cost of space travel is front and centre here, so I’m hoping that Interstellar could unite the intelligence of Inception and the emotion of the Dark Knight trilogy and become Nolan’s best film yet. One thing’s certain on this evidence – this film will not be going gently into any good night.

Alex Nicholson

Hunger Games Final

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1

Release Date: 20th November 2014

The newly released trailer finds Katniss in a state of shock following the events of Catching Fire, as she is somewhat forced by higher authorities to stand as a symbol against the Capitol despite her shattered condition.

Having joined the ranks of the rebellion festering in District 13 and across Panem, Katniss now answers to President Coin (Julianne Moore), the antithesis of President Snow in practice, yet similarly cold by nature. Natalie Dormer makes her first appearance in the trilogy as Cressida and we are given a glimpse of the late Philip Seymour Hoffman as Plutarch Heavensbee, fervently propelling the vision of Katniss as the Mockingjay.

The trailer provides various shots of rebellion igniting across the Districts, so you can be assured that Mockingjay, Part 1 will not be found wanting of heavy action. Jennifer Lawrence’s only line in the trailer – ‘I am. I will.’ – speaks volumes, highlighting her defiance as the leader of the rebellion, yet her shaky demeanour reveals the inner demons that she must fight under the surface.

Sabrina Barr

AIR FINAL

Air

Release Date: Unconfirmed

There’s a distinctly Moon vibe about the upcoming Air (formerly Wake Cycle), from The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman and star Norman Reedus, which can only be a good thing. Little is known about the plot, and the below teaser gives little away beyond a tense mood and claustrophobic atmosphere.

What is known is that Air  is set underground after a devastating war, and the majority of the surviving population are are being cryogenically preserved and watched over by Reedus and Djimon Hounsou, who are gradually losing sanity and, one would assume somewhere along the line, air.

This debut feature from director Christian Cantamessa, hitherto a writer for video games – including Red Dead Redemption – is definitely a low key film to keep an eye on.

Tom Watchorn

Click here for more Trailer Watch.

What did you think of the Comic Con previews? Let us know via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.