UoN engineering academic wins international award

A University of Nottingham (UoN) academic in the Department of Engineering has won a prestigious international award for his work in 3D printing.

Dr Adam Clare specialises in manufacturing technology and won the title of International Outstanding Young Researcher for his contribution to smart material processing.

Smart materials are materials which can change their properties, their structure or their functions in response to the environment, for example shape memory materials.

“I am honoured to have received this award. This is a very exciting time to be involved in 3D printing”

Every year, the organisers of the Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium (SFFS) reward a young researcher who has a made a significant contribution to additive manufacturing research early in their career.

The winner of the award must also act as a positive role model to fellow academics, industrial partners and students.

“In addition to Adam’s exceptional research work in the area of additive manufacturing, he has also demonstrated significant leadership potential”

Dr Clare said: “I am honoured to have received this award. It is also a tribute to the great work of all of the people involved in the 3D printing group in Nottingham.

“This is a very exciting time to be involved in 3D printing and I’m looking forward to undertaking further research in the future to further develop our understanding of the potential of this technology. Since Nottingham hosts the EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Additive Manufacturing, we are well placed in this vibrant research community.”

“It is very encouraging to see that there are talented young academics, such as Adam, working in the area of freeform and additive manufacturing”

Dr David Bourell, Chair of the SFFS organising committee and a Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Texas, said: ““The judges felt that in addition to Adam’s exceptional research work in the area of additive manufacturing, he has also demonstrated significant leadership potential as a member of the 3D printing group at The University of Nottingham.

“It is very encouraging to see that there are talented young academics, such as Adam, working in the area of freeform and additive manufacturing, who will help to push the boundaries of research and innovation in this field in the future.”

Dean of the Faculty of Engineering at UoN, Professor Andy Long, also praised “the tremendous work that Adam has been doing in additive manufacturing research”.

Visit UoN’s additive manufacturing web page for further details about its work in this area.

Beth Rowland

Image: University of Nottingham

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook