Album Review: The Wytches – ‘Annabel Dream Reader’

Few debut records offer the maturity and depth that can be found in The Wytches’ long-awaited first LP, Annabel Dream Reader.

Although the band jokingly described their sound online as “surf doom”, this is partially accurate. For the most part, the album is a vicious affair warped with psychedelic intrigue and murky gothic references. However, it’s bravely unafraid to reveal its heart during a few delicate moments.

For the most part, the album is a vicious affair warped with psychedelic intrigue and murky gothic references.

Recorded at Toe Rag Studios in London, the quality of production hasn’t drastically changed from previous singles. As a result, the tracks on the album don’t lose character, which is fortunate. Opener ‘Digsaw’ is a full-frontal assault; the chorus hits you with singer Kristian Bell screaming in pure fury, “She took all of the light/took all of the light”. The lyrics to ‘Gravedweller’ are laced with stark Gothic imagery: “Gravedweller make sure you bury me/next to the family who resembles me.” ‘Wire Frame Mattress’ is arguably the Wytches’ signature song and a fan favourite – a confusion of heavy guitar and distorted vocals, underlined with a pounding bass line.

The fast-paced urgency of the first half is balanced out with a slowdown in tempo for the second half. Ushered in by ‘Weights and Ties’, an ode to a past lover; there are some rare glimpses of intimacy. Previous AA side ‘Crying Clown’ is just as intense and raw as ever starting off slow and mournful but picking up pace to provide the perfect climax.

‘Track 13’ however, is the unexpected choice of song to end the album. Featuring just singer Kristian accompanied by his acoustic guitar and some sparse drums, he tells us the tale of ‘Annabel’ the dream reader. Perhaps there is the feeling that it was a last minute addition given the fact that it’s unnamed but it’s a surprisingly heart-breaking and sorrowful end to an album with an otherwise rough exterior.

it’s a surprisingly heart-breaking and sorrowful end to an album with an otherwise rough exterior.

It is not just the unexpected ending of ‘Track 13’ but the entirety of the record’s second half which showcases just how much The Wytches have developed. It’s here where Bell truly shines in his ability as a lyricist and songwriter. Of course a variety of influences can easily be identified but the band has skilfully merged them in order to create a sound, which is clearly distinct.

With this album, The Wytches want to draw us into their mysterious, dark, fantastical world, and upon listening, it may be hard to escape.

Star-Rating-4-1-2-copy3

Tasmin Chowdhary

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Facebook and Twitter