Music

Hang the DJ: Make Your Freshers’ Week Live

Don’t fancy Crisis or Ocean this week? Here is Impact Music‘s guide to all the exciting live events taking this week to make your Freshers’ Live.

Audacity (USA) / Bruce and Carl / Losing Sleep – JT Soar
Monday 22nd September

If you’re a fan of bands like Fidlar and The Orwells, floppy fringes and all, chances are you’ll love Audacity. Channelling the best of US garage rock into one danceable sound, they provide a perfect way to kick-start your Freshers’ Week. On top of that, you’ll get a chance to familiarise yourself with one of the country’s best DIY venues.

Paper Beat Scissors – Jam Cafe
Tuesday 23rd September

Folk music more your thing? Paper Beat Scissors brings his finger-picking folk style to Jam Cafe on Tuesday. If Monday night has left you with a splitting headache and a stomach less stable than the Atlantic Ocean, Jam Cafe is where you want to be.

White Hills / Nadir – Spanky Van Dyke’s
Wednesday 24th September

Maybe your tastes are a little heavier than soothing folk music? Get to Spanky’s on Wednesday night to be given a slice of Space-Rock from White Hills alongside Nadir’s unique brand of Death Metal. If you’re feeling peckish, turn up early and grab one of their renowned burgers.

Rae Morris – The Bodega
Wednesday 24th September

If you like watching the rising stars, singer-songwriter Rae Morris is a star certainly starting to burn bright. Featuring on Bombay Bicycle Club’s single ‘Luna’ earlier this year and currently in the studio working on her album, Rae Morris is set to take the country by storm.

Darlia – Rescue Rooms
Thursday 25th September

Just want to get drunk and chuck your beer at somebody? Darlia combine the Britpop entertainment of Oasis with the aggression of Nirvana. A midway band that could teach some of your friends to embrace their poppy side and others to venture into heavier sounds.

Auxes / Oxeneers – The Chameleon
27th September

Finish your week in one of Nottingham’s most important, and most hidden, venues. (Hint: once your phone navigation gets you there, go down the alleyway.) Catch Auxes while they’re this side of the Atlantic, in all their punk rock glory.

Ian Fillingham

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Facebook and Twitter

Music