Live Review: Sleaford Mods, Spanky Van Dykes (14/09/2014)

Shaun Gordon Photography

After a year where everyday has seemed to result in more success, Sleaford Mods return to Nottz to check up on where they started.

Acknowleding the Nottingham scene with true respect the band were preceded by a line-up of the city’s finest acts. For a band who describe themselves to listeners as an aging collective, Grey Hairs will forever shock their audiences with their relentless energy. Their front-man’s singing is more so a full-frontal assault on the microphone- halfway through the set launching himself in to the audience as if his energy had somehow over-spilled. Grey Hairs’ are packed with irony; as opposed to being sinking and grey, their live shows portray them as one of Nottingham’s most exciting rising acts.

Endless Grinning Skulls followed the band to the stage – abruptly beginning their act by sinisterly stating ‘if you don’t like our sound, you’re gonna be right out the door’. In many ways, a wise opening statement – the band are an acquired taste – they have a guitarist that looks like Charles Bronson and the fury of the last few decades of hardcore punk crammed into their sound. Needless to say, the band went above and beyond their role of ‘warming up the crowd’.

For many acts, it would have been tough to still appear stimulating following the pure energy of these support bands.

Just as Endless Grinning Skulls and Grey Hairs seem to channel a psychotic and uncontrollable energy, so to do White Finger. Their unpredictable front-man struts around the stage like Trainspotting’s Begbie, giving the impression he may lose his shit at any point and completely fuck the place up- he does have a reputation. Considering the two bands who preceded them, having a frontman that didn’t seem at least somewhat unstable would have been a major letdown.

sleaford mods 2

Shaun Gordon Photography

For many acts, it would have been tough to still appear stimulating following the pure energy of these support bands. However for a duo such as Sleaford Mods this is not even considered. Their lyrics alone pack the stomach-punch of history’s most exciting frontmen: Iggy Pop, Ol’ Dirty Bastard, Nick Cave, Chuck D etc.

Having had a summer of balancing 9-5 work with a long, ongoing tour has seemed to result in the lyrics being ingrained in Jason’s head as much as the bitterness they were written with. Going from monotonous moans in ‘McFlurry’ of ‘I got a Brit Award, I got a Brit Award…’, which seemed to genuinely bore him, then abruptly escalating to ‘I GOT A FUCKING MERCURY AWARD’ (the duo were predicted on several Mercury nominees lists). Sleaford Mods weren’t just presenting their lyrics to the audience, or even performing them, it was more of an onstage explanation.

Jason explodes in furious fits of rage, insulting a previous boss as a ‘four-eyed prick’ then as the song draws to a close he comes back down to Earth feeling a need to confirm that there was ‘no offense meant to anyone with glasses’.

Jason explodes in furious fits of rage, insulting a previous boss as a ‘four-eyed prick’ then as the song draws to a close he comes back down to Earth feeling a need to confirm that there was ‘no offense meant to anyone with glasses’. Each song really does seem to take him to a state of genuine animosity, into a completely different mood and mindset.

When the pair return for an encore they’re reminded by their boss to mention their return to Nottingham in January, already playing Rescue Rooms. How far Sleaford Mods have come in a year is staggering. The rate of their success can only be put down  to people seeing something distinctly unique in them. It’s been a while since people have seen an act as culturally and musically relevant to their time as this. Go see them while you still can.

Ian Fillingham 

All photos from Shaun Gordon Photography