Trailer Watch – The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

Mockingjay – Part 1 may only be adapting the first half of the concluding Hunger Games novel, but if its trailer is anything to go on, it’s going to be an epic opening to the final story in the series. In this explosive new trailer, Katniss and her companions face gunfire, collapsing buildings and a rupturing dam. The games may be over, but the revolution has begun.

As the first part in the conclusion to the Hunger Games franchise, this trailer sets the tone for both Mockingjay – Part 1 and its following second Part (coming in 2015). Gone are the glitzy sweeping CGI montages of the Capitol and arenas. In their place, destroyed districts and multiple shots of the grimy underground District 13 (finally!).

This trailer gives all the key players their moment. President Snow delivers his chilling prediction in all his evil glory, Gale appears very much in the thick of the action and Peeta, who was captured by the Capitol in the concluding moments of Catching Fire, is still alive, but is now a weapon of the Capitol.

Katniss, now the ‘Mockingjay’, face of the rebellion, appears (perhaps unsurprisingly) in more danger than ever and, if Snow is to be believed, things are about to get personal. Even smaller parts such as Haymitch, Plutarch and Effie get their moments, suggesting that this film, though its focus will obviously be Katniss, will see her relying on others as well.

The closing shot of Gale and Katniss bringing down two Capitol hovercrafts is immense and, as a fan of the books and the films, I cannot wait to return to Panem.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 will be released November 21st 2014.

Henry Stanley

Click here for more Trailer Watch.

What did you think of this new trailer? Let us know via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Writer and Editor for the Film & TV section of Impact, Bharat is a keen previewer, reviewer and sometimes just viewer, of all things cinematic and televisual, with a particular passion for biographical pictures, adaptations and sitcoms.