UoN Jubilee Campus Fire: Open Day Reaction and Latest Developments

The GlaxoSmithKline Carbon Neutral Laboratory for Sustainable Chemistry will be rebuilt following last night’s fire, in which the original structure was destroyed.

The move was confirmed by the University of Nottingham’s (UoN) registrar, Dr Paul Greatrix, in a statement issued earlier today.

“We will be working closely with our partners at GSK, and the contractors Morgan Sindall, to develop a positive plan of action for rebuilding”.

Dr Greatrix said: “This is a setback for us but one from which we have no doubt we will recover.

“The University of Nottingham has an international reputation for scientific excellence, underpinned by the world-leading expertise of our academics.

“It is upon those strong foundations that we will rebuild and renew for the future.

“The GlaxoSmithKline Carbon Neutral Laboratory for Sustainable Chemistry is a landmark building which is the embodiment of the University’s commitment to sustainability in all its forms, particularly in the area of green chemistry and we will be working closely with our partners at GSK, and the contractors Morgan Sindall, to develop a positive plan of action for rebuilding”.

Pollyanna Ward v2

Nottinghamshire firefighters and police are expected to begin their investigations into the cause of the blaze in the next two or three days, once the site has been declared safe.

Today, UoN hosted an open day for prospective undergraduates and Impact asked visitors for their reaction to the news.

“It’s had zero impact on how my daughter or myself view the University. Unfortunately these things happen and I’m sure there will be an explanation about how the fire was started”.

Jessica Hemblade was visiting the University with her daughter and told Impact: “I was first alerted about the fire when the news was broken on Sky News and was taken aback when I saw the pictures.

“As soon as I told my daughter she immediately went on Twitter and followed it. It’s good news that nobody was hurt.

“It’s just so sad that the building burned down to the ground, meaning all that time, effort and money had been lost”.

Another parent, Sam Jacques, commented: “Yes, I knew about the fire yesterday and just hoped for no casualties. The news spread like wildfire, so it was easy to keep up to date with the situation.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service have said that there are still at least two crews on site and that the police cordon has been reduced to cover a small part of Triumph Road.

Jacob Bentley

Images: Pollyanna Ward (@Pollage) 

• J Smith
    13 September 2014 at 22:27