BREAKING: Student falls from balcony at Crisis

UPDATE 09/10/14, 19:00: The student is in a stable condition, after suffering from a fractured skull. 

Crisis have released the following statement: “We are pleased to hear that the individual involved in falling from the balcony yesterday evening is in a stable condition. He suffered a fractured skull that, while serious, we are relieved to hear the injuries he sustained were not worse”.

A student was injured after falling from the balcony onto the main dance floor at Rock City last night.

The incident occurred at approximately 12:45am. Crisis staff immediately attended to the victim, believed to be a UoN student, and paramedics were on the scene within four minutes.

The police arrived just before 1am, but the student is believed to have fallen of his own accord, so no one else is involved with police.

“We were on the steps and all the lights went on and the music stopped. We went up on the balcony to see and there were ambulance people and the guy was carried out. There was blood all over the floor. Then we all had to leave – most people went to the Black Cherry Lounge – but I went home”

Witnesses told Impact that the victim landed on the dance floor face first and remain motionless for some time. He was apparently conscious as he was carried off on a stretcher.

Jemma Newton, a student who was at Crisis last night, told Impact: “We were on the steps and all the lights went on and the music stopped. We went up on the balcony to see and there were ambulance people and the guy was carried out. There was blood all over the floor. Then we all had to leave – most people went to the Black Cherry Lounge – but I went home”.

“I initially saw an arm under the shuffling feet of students and assumed someone had thrown a mannequin from the balcony. It was only when I looked closer that I realised it was a boy”

Credit: Jemma Newton

Credit: Jemma Newton

A second year Music student who also witnessed the scene told Impact: “I was stood with my friend on the dance floor just under the balcony where he fell and I saw some thing move through the air and a sudden thump on the ground.

“I looked inspect what was there and initially saw an arm under the shuffling feet of students and assumed someone had thrown a mannequin from the balcony. It was only when I looked closer that I realised it was a boy.

“The shock of it made me turn away and panic, then after my mind was settled I decided the best thing to do was to phone 999.

“I was panicking and could not here the person on the other end of the phone, so I was mainly just repeating ‘a boy at rock city has fallen off the balcony’, but I hoped I had got the point across”.

“The individual was conscious whilst being treated, but clearly had sustained a severe head injury”

The student continued: “I then went to check what was going on and security guards were handling the situation.

“All I hope is that the boy is recovering from his injuries”, they said.

The following statement was released by Crisis in the early hours of this morning:

“We would like to apologise to our customers this evening that we unfortunately needed to close the main room due to a customer falling from the Balcony. Given the serious nature of the incident it was entirely necessary.

“Rock City staff were quick to react and Police and ambulance staff were on site within four minutes. The individual was conscious whilst being treated, but clearly had sustained a severe head injury.

“Having reviewed the CCTV footage it appears the individual involved fell by their own accord and so Police are not currently looking for anyone”

“He was rushed to QMC for emergency care. Having reviewed the CCTV footage it appears the individual involved fell by their own accord and so Police are not currently looking for anyone.

“Our hearts go out to the customer involved in the incident and we hope they recover in hospital as soon as possible”.

For the full statement from Crisis, click here.

Beth Rowland

Header Image: BBC News. Body Image: Jemma Newton

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook