Travel

Top autumn destinations

Although summer is over, autumn brings a whole new landscape to embrace; from parklands awash with coloured leaves, to festive markets and bonfire nights. In honour of this special season, fourth year languages student Michael Winnington lists five top autumnal destinations: 

Gaspésie – Quebec, Canada

Due to the country’s unique landscape, Canada is the perfect location for visiting parklands and nature trails. After asking two friends from Quebec which autumn destination they would recommend, both agreed on one place – Gaspésie. Biased they may well be, it is undeniable that Gaspésie, located on the south of the Saint Lawrence river, is a beautiful part of the province. This is recognised by the National Geographic, who listed it as one of the top 20 destinations to visit in 2011.

Gaspésie offers a wealth of activities including salmon fishing, snowmobile trails and even a motorcycle tourist circuit.

One of the peninsula’s main attractions is the picturesque Percé Rock, as well as the wealth of national parks, including Parc national de la Gaspésie, where some of the highest peaks in eastern Canada can be admired. What better place to explore Quebec’s natural beauty than amongst the deep ravines and caribou of an area containing the province’s highest moose density? Gaspésie offers a wealth of activities including salmon fishing, snowmobile trails and even a motorcycle tourist circuit. The difficult thing won’t be deciding whether to go to Gaspésie; it will be what to do once you’re there!

4956792358_27906d3e81_z

South West France – Bordeaux & Biarritz 

Bordeaux is best known for its world class wine, and as a result, this is what fuels the city’s, and surrounding vineyards’ tourist industry. On the second Saturday of September is Le Marathon du Medoc. This is, however, no ordinary marathon. Instead, fancy dressed runners complete the 26-mile vineyard circuit and keep hydrated through the 23 wine stops! Wine isn’t the only speciality that can be enjoyed, as there are also oyster, foie gras, cheese and steak stops. Next year’s marathon takes place on 12th September, however those wanting to take part will have to be quick, as last year 40,000 missed out.

Bordeaux is best known for its world class wine

Bordeaux is not the only place in the area for autumn sport. Close to the Spanish border is Biarritz, considered by many as the surfing capital of Europe. Following the busy summer months, autumn is the perfect season to go surfing in Biarritz, and the waves start to get bigger and bigger as winter approaches.

8656596335_c86b0b433a_z

Istanbul – Turkey

Istanbul is rich in culture, so spend time visiting the city’s famous Sultan Ahmed Mosque, the Hagia Sophia Museum (which was formally a Greek basilica and then an imperial mosque) and the dazzling Topkapi Palace. Alternatively, get lost in the Grand Bazaar or go on a cruise along the Bosphorus, the river which divides Europe and Asia.

get lost in the Grand Bazaar or go on a cruise along the Bosphorus

Visiting cities can be hungry business, so make sure that you indulge in the best food Istanbul has to offer. Whether it’s a döner kebab, seafood from a boat restaurant, the bagel-like Simit or the Turkish pizza, Lahmacun; there’s something to suit every taste. Finish it off with a Turkish coffee or Raki, if you like something a bit stronger!

5761489720_228a82272f_z

New England – USA 

New England is a great place to visit and admire the leaves turning from green into a range of reds, oranges and yellows, and with the help of Visit New Hampshire’s foliage tracker, planning your visit has never been easier.

Due to its scenic byways, cable cars and state parks, it’ll be hard to miss the wealth of autumnal colours in New England. There’s plenty to do in the region as well, such as flying through the forest on a zip line, going to harvest festivals and even pumpkin carving contests!

3329133488_952501eb5f_z
Munich – Germany

It’s hard to write about autumn locations without mentioning the city which hosts probably the most famous beer festival in the world. Booking early is a must for Oktoberfest, as accommodation fills up fast. Make sure you buy yourself some lederhosen too, so you can blend in with the locals. When you’re not drinking the local produce and dancing to Oompah music, there’s still so much to Bavaria’s capital. Join the crowds in Marienplatz to watch the animated glockenspiel in the new town hall at 11am and 12pm all year long.

Afterwards go to one of Europe’s biggest parks, the Englischer Garten, have lunch at the Chinesischer Turm and then, believe it or not, watch people surf the artificial waves in the Eisbach River. On Sundays many of the museums in the city only cost €1 to visit and for sports fans, exploring the Olympic Park and Allianz Arena is a must.

4311504535_5a23ac9527_z

Michael Winnington 

Images courtesy of Peaceful-Jp-scenery, Dennis Jarvis, Tommie Hansen, Christopher Chan, pdbreen and Troels dejgaard Hansen via Flickr 

Follow Impact travel on Facebook and Twitter

Travel