TV Review – The Strain, Season 1, Episode 6

Our favourite CDC investigator Dr. Eph is in trouble with the law this week, and with a solar eclipse shadowing New York City in darkness, there’s be nowhere to run from the infected…

Warning: Spoilers follow!

With last week’s episode “Runaways” ending with Dr. Ephraim being blamed for the death of the pilot Redfern, this week’s instalment of The Strain, “Occultation”, starts with the FBI’s investigation into his whereabouts. Even Eph’s ex-wife Kelly gets questioned by the FBI, and when he arrives at their house to warn his beloved family about the increasing danger of the strain, Kelly’s boyfriend gets him arrested.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m getting sick of nobody believing Eph. Even his own family fails to believe his seriousness about the strain, deciding against his warnings to flee the city. For us viewers who have now sat through five of the rise of the bloodthirsty zombies, it’s pretty annoying to see characters not acting seriously about this, and for them, ignorance isn’t bliss.

The Strain

Meanwhile, Eichhorst (everyone’s favourite right hand to The Master) forces Gus to take the pilot’s body from the hospital, removing all evidence that Eph’s allegations are true. And of course who’s there to help Gus? Good-gone-bad family man Jim. I really am starting to dislike this guy. I understand everyone is afraid of The Master and his minions, but I thought Jim was trying to prove to Eph that he’s really a good guy full of regret for basically ending the world? Possibly not then.

Old man pawn shop owner/zombie killer Setrakian is still busy searching down the families of those infected on the plane. He’s actually represented as more of a vulnerable character in this chapter, evident when he is unable to kill a group of the zombies due to him needing to take some medication. He leaves in a taxi dabbing his neck and it seems he’s pretty unwell. Plus, with Eph in jail and Setrakian unwell, who will save New York from the hastily rising population of killers?

Nora is also investigated by the FBI and takes herself and her mother to seek refuge at Setrakian’s pawn shop. Eph manages to escape police custody when the FBI are attacked by the infected when they are stuck in traffic during the eclipse.

The Strain 2

The eclipse was a pretty daunting scene, as these particular infected are killed when exposed to sunlight, confining them to cellars, basements and the underground. But when the sunlight is momentarily concealed, the virus spreads even more rapidly when a few escape and surface into civilisation, resulting in even more victims being bitten.

If you thought last week was serious, “Occultation” is even more worrisome. It seems there may be no way to conceal or trap the strain now as more and more families are infected. Rat-killer Vesily Fet witnesses his whole office being turned and even tries, and fails, to warn his own family of the danger.

This week’s episode ends on a real cliffhanger. With all hope seemingly lost, Eph, Nora and Setrakian are reunited; the scene ends with Abe eerily stating are ‘’you’re both ready….I have a new plan’’. Very exciting stuff. Maybe there hope after all for the zombie/vampire apocalypse.

Whilst an enjoyable episode, I couldn’t help but feel it was slightly slower than the last. The idea of an eclipse was a good one, but it could have been better executed to avoid being slightly anticlimactic. Nevertheless The Strain is still thoroughly exciting, and the developing storyline never disappoints.

Eleanor Missen

Star-Rating-3-1-21

Click here for more TV Reviews

See The Strain on Watch, Wednesdays at 10pm.

Get in touch with us on Facebook & Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Film & TVTV Reviews

Writer and Editor for the Film & TV section of Impact, Bharat is a keen previewer, reviewer and sometimes just viewer, of all things cinematic and televisual, with a particular passion for biographical pictures, adaptations and sitcoms.