Yes, vegans can still eat pizza…

I already know what you’re thinking. Vegan? What do you eat, salad? Well… yes. Along with every other fruit, grain and vegetable there is in the world, and trust me when I say, “there are plenty.”

I actually love when people assume I live on carrots, (which on some super lazy days, I won’t lie, carrots and hummus is my ultimate go-to) but the simple fact that many people don’t know is that there is pretty much a vegan alternative to everything! A vegan alternative to chocolate! A vegan alternative to cheese! A vegan alternative to milk! A vegan alternative to chicken! (Seriously.) That means I can have all different types of dishes. I can still have lasagne, and pasta bake, and all curries, and yes, vegans can still eat pizza! (I get this question a lot!) Maybe not exactly the same as the traditional, but it can be topped with a multitude of vegetables minus the cheese or with an alternative. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

I’ve found that as a vegan it is fun to be super creative with my meals, in terms of learning how to use spices and all sorts of seasoning elements to give anyone who puts my food in their mouths a friendly vegan sucker-punch in the taste buds. Smoked paprika, black pepper, nutmeg, turmeric, basil, chilli, cilantro, cayenne pepper, garlic, oregano, cumin, the list is endless – can’t you just smell how fragrant and delicious you can make simple vegan dishes? I could make your stomach play the maracas, make your tongue come hither for my kitchen, completely change your perception of food. Oh yes, everyone can love vegan food, and I’d put my student loan on it.

I will tell you that it can be difficult on the going-out-for-meals-with-friends front. There are just some places that I can’t go to, like steak houses and Hooters – which I was recently invited to by a friend. But even then, there can always be a compromise, especially when you’re friends with people who respect your choices of food (you should be friends with these types of people).

So throw all your misconceptions out of the window; we vegans can eat, a hell of a lot!

Sara Assumani

Follow Impact on Twitter and Facebook

Image Credit: Michaela Damm via Flickr

• yogachick
    13 October 2014 at 18:13