Album Review: The Shivas – You Know What To Do

Portland-based group The Shivas continue their energetic  60’s sounds with their fourth release, You Know What To Do.

Every album that you hear about will have been produced with the aid of a computer; however, You Know What To Do takes a step back and was put together without any technical assistance whatsoever. Recorded by Calvin Johnson, a local figure to Portland, this raw release reflects the tireless efforts put into its production, with a healthy serving of lo-fi garage rock and punk that makes us reminisce summers in the back of the 60’s camper-van with sun in the sky sand in your shoes.

You Know What To Do was put together without any technical assistance whatsoever.

The first track on the album, also titled You Know What To Do, is a thoroughly energetic start to the list, frequenting in classic The Kinks-esque reverb guitar sounds and stripped back drumming. The intriguing boy-girl vocal interplay gives the track an extra depth, with the harmonies being rebelliously shouted throughout. Manson Girls follows in a similar ‘Beach Boys’ fashion, with catchy guitar riffs and jagged, tinny vocals, it’s a real get up and dance song.

the shivas u know

However, there are slower tracks to rest after the infectious dance vibes from previous tracks. Big Mama Casio starts with a slower yet equally as catchy piano riff, with basic off-beat snares and claps behind lead singer Jared Wait-Molyneux’s memorable melodies. The slow tempos continue in Let It Happen To You, except the singers step back and introduce a lacklustre hum throughout that could send you to sleep.

The intriguing boy-girl vocal interplay gives the track an extra depth, with the harmonies being rebelliously shouted throughout.

Lead-singer Jared Wait Molyneux mentions: “We lived in Dub Narcotic Studio while recording. Sleeping on the floor, our alarm each morning was Calvin putting on rock and roll records while he calibrated the tape machine.”

There is one danger for The Shivas. This lo-fi craze is a phase that has been tried to death over the years, and with big names such as The Drums and The Libertines storming to success, it might be a long old ride for the five-piece. Having said that, You Know What To Do  is unique: coming from America, The Shivas have the ability to add in that cowboy twist which makes the guitar riffs that bit more danceable.

You Know What To Do is unique: coming from America, The Shivas have the ability to add in that cowboy twist which makes the guitar riffs that bit more danceable.

Overall, this release is one for the knee-tappers and dancers who are missing the summery, beachy vibes that seem like a distant memory from many years ago. Roll up your baggy denim jeans, let your hair down and headbutt someone on your way to the shop to buy this funky record.

7/10

By William McCartney

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Twitter