Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red

Created by Tom Piper, a set designer, and ceramic artist Paul Cummins, the Tower of London has been home to an art spectacular in honour of the 100th anniversary of World War 1: Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red. 888,246 poppies will fill the Tower’s famous moat, each poppy representing a fallen Briton who participated in the war, with more being installed each day. The memorial shows poppies bleeding from the Tower of London that then extends into the moat surrounding the ‘bloody tower’ –a truly captivating, heart-wrenching work of art in honour of those who fought for our country.

However, it isn’t to last. When it was first created, the poppies were to remain there until 11th November to mark the end of the anniversary, with the poppies being sold and the proceeds going to the six charities that support our military. Having been in place since August 5th, it is only now that the exhibition is growing and nearing its end that more of the public have shown an interest in seeing the attraction.

When it was first created, the poppies were to remain there until 11th November to mark the end of the anniversary

With tens of thousands of people flocking to the scene these past few weekends – thanks to half-term holidays – to catch a glimpse of the poppies for themselves the crowds have become ‘overwhelming’. Posing the question of whether the memorial should remain in place past Armistice Day, hopefully until the end of the centenary.

It was revealed that Prime Minister David Cameron backs the campaign for the poppies to remain in place for longer

It was revealed that Prime Minister David Cameron backs the campaign for the poppies to remain in place for longer, calling for talks with officials associated with the exhibit. With all four party leaders in agreement for the exhibition to remain in place for longer, it seems that the campaign could be pushed. However, officials of the Historical Royal Palaces are determined for it to end on schedule despite the public appeal. I would like to see this extension go ahead, so I urge you to back the campaign as well. Whether an official position gets released or it is simply a matter of public support, we urge you to play your part in helping this magnificent wonder in place for longer.

With the final poppy being added to the installation at 11am on November 11th, before a two minute silence, let’s hope that Blood Swept Lands And Seas Of Red can remain in place for more people to see its message and beauty.

Jessica Millott

Follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter

Image courtesy of david.england18 via Flickr

ArtsArts Features