Style

Fashion’s most inspirational women

Undeniably today’s fashion circuit is loaded with remarkable talent and hard-working women, perhaps more than ever before. Although spoilt for choice, below is our pick of the 5 most inspirational women in fashion today.

Diane von Fürstenberg

iw3

Once a Princess, it would be difficult to deny Diane von Fürstenberg’s long list of accomplishments. Having been awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Council of Fashion Designers of America in 2005, which she later became president of, von Fürstenberg has royally outdone herself over the years.

Having achieved recognition through the success of her signature wrap dress, Diane has gone on to become one of the most renowned fashion designers of all time. As the 68th most powerful woman in the world according to Forbes, and having already secured a star on Seventh Avenue’s Fashion Walk of Fame, it’s only fitting that von Fürstenberg secures a place on this list.

Coco Chanel

iw1

A personal favourite and a timeless classic, Coco Chanel will forever remain one of, if not the most, influential women in fashion. Although the designer passed away in 1971, her designs have lived on and have become the epitome of elegance and chic. Iconic pieces such as the classic quilted bag, Chanel No. 5 perfume and tweed suits continue to be the objects of lust for women of all ages.

Having grown up in a convent after the death of her mother aged 12, Chanel has taught generations of women that with hard work, anything can be achieved, regardless of background. Her determination and perseverance led to the creation of one of the most renowned fashion houses in the world, and has inspired countless women to aim equally as high.

Natalie Massenet

Natalie Massenet, Getty Images

If anyone is to blame for your worrying online shopping addiction, it’s Natalie Massenet. Having set up the heavenly-yet-out-of-most-students’-price-range Net-a-Porter in 2000, Massenet changed online fashion retail forever.

Having begun her career in fashion journalism at Women’s Wear Daily in 1993, Massenet is well acclimatised to women’s clothing needs. After the success of Net-a-Porter, one of the very first online shopping websites, the company went on to develop various offshoots to the flourishing website, including a magazine (Porter) and a male site (Mr Porter).

Now the chairman of the British Fashion Council, there is no stopping this savvy businesswoman. Her entrepreneurial skills and innovative ideas make her a stand out player in today’s fashion market.

Sophia Amoruso

iw2

At only 30 years old, Sophia Amoruso has achieved what most women take 50 years to achieve. As the owner of Nasty Gal, an online fashion retail store, Amoruso has become one of the most successful businesswomen in fashion today.

Having started her career selling vintage items on eBay, her ‘Nasty Girl Vintage’ store soon became an empire, and in 2008 moved on to its own website which has become a go to site for girls in need of a fashion fix. Dubbed the ‘Cinderella of tech’ by the New York Times, Amoruso has quickly become an inspiration to aspiring businesswomen and fashion fanatics.

The release of her book, ‘#GIRLBOSS’, has only further cemented her position as a truly inspirational woman in fashion, and gives admirers an insight into how this phenomenal woman achieved fashion domination.

Susie Bubble

Susie Bubble, Teri Pengilley

With one of the most visited blogs on the web, Susie Bubble, or Susanna Lau, has taken one of the newest professions in fashion to a whole new level.

Style Bubble first graced our computer screens way back in 2006, when fashion bloggers were few and far between compared to today. Since then, Style Bubble has attracted thousands of visitors and has led to Susanna’s subsequent collaborations with the likes of Gap, Dr. Martens and Armani.

Now a renowned fashion blogger, Susie Bubble has inspired thousands of girls to #OOTD and the recent increase in blogging surely stems partly from the influence of Style Bubble. Her fun, fresh, getups have sparked an insurgence of creativity amongst girls who want to step out of the ordinary and wear clothes in new, innovative ways.

Verity Bradley

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

Images: Liu Weng Cheng, Getty Images, Lorenzo Aguis, Penguin, marieclaire.co.uk, Pengilley

Style