Travel

Mexico: truths and misconceptions

Mexico is full of surprises; both good and bad. As an avid traveller, languages student Eleni Philippou has gathered some interesting thoughts about the land of burritos. So without further ado here are five misconceptions and five truths about Mexico: 

Misconceptions about Mexico:

1. Skulls symbolize death

If you take a close look into Mexican culture and art, you will see plenty of skulls being used. However, it doesn’t have the same negative image people usually give it. In Mexican culture, skulls actually represent life and fertility.  This concept dates way back to the Mayan times when proud warriors would carry the heads of the defeated. Mayans believed in cycles – in order to reach life there must be death. They believed that when a person died, a new life would be created. The skulls were a positive image as they brought a new life – a new cycle. This explains why we see the typical Mexican art of skulls with colourful flowers.

2. You will definitely get robbed in Mexico City

Criminality is a big subject that surrounds Mexico. However, in my brief time in Mexico I didn’t feel threatened. It is true that it isn’t the safest place but it all depends on where you go. Being careful and aware will keep you from putting yourself in unsafe situations. Research your destination and stay close to the centre. Danger is everywhere; don’t let it keep you from exploring new treasures.

3. The best Mexican food is in Mexico

People always say you need to experience the original cuisine to truly appreciate a country’s food. Well to European stomachs, typical Mexican dishes don’t appeal as much as they do outside of the Americas. The different ingredients and spices add to make a very different idea of what Mexican food is than the one we are used to. Even though I always vote for local food over the western version, in this case I can safely say I’d choose Taco Bell any day over Mexican food markets.

4. Mexico City is nothing more than a polluted, over-populated metropolis

It would be a shame to limit Mexico City’s vocabulary to these two words despite their preciseness.  There are a billion things to do; visit Frida Khalo’s house, watch traditional Mexican-Indian dancing, roam the streets on a Sunday morning where the big avenue is closed and the streets are full of zumba instructors, cyclists and dog-walkers. Thus, it is a city of hidden treasures, despite its social and environmental issues.

5. All Mexican men have moustaches, wear ponchos and sport colourful sombreros

Sorry to disappoint but the image we see in films of the Mexican population can be a tad dated. Believe it or not, there are many modern, 21st century-looking Mexicans. Fashion does reach Mexico, but whether they choose to wear it or not is a whole other question.

Truths about Mexico:

1. You will experience bowel movement problems

Following the above mention of Mexican cuisine, it is nearly inevitable to have stomach difficulties whilst in Mexico. If you don’t, you have either brought in food from abroad or are superhuman. On the plus side, frequent bathroom visits will give you that much needed detox.

2. You will have the best tequila and margaritas

No further explanation needed – lots and lots of pure tequila.

4454072328_3c2dcfcd32_z

3. Overcrowded buses

Now here’s something that the films show that is still true – packed buses. There’s no escaping. Don’t fight it. Just go with it.

4. Mexico City is polluted and over-populated

Even if it shouldn’t be what the city is known for, it does stand a point. Often you will wonder where so many people come from. Let’s just say you don’t want to be in a car at 6pm on a Tuesday, nor walking near a traffic jam.

5. All tourists take pictures wearing sombrero hats

Guilty, I plead guilty. It wouldn’t be a true Mexican trip if you didn’t have a photo wearing the iconic sombrero. After all, how else would you know you’re in Mexico? Embrace it, embrace your inner Mexican!

Eleni Philippou 

Images courtesy of Norberto Chavez-Tapia and Ari Helminen via Flickr 

Follow Impact Travel on Facebook and Twitter

Travel