Nottingham Fringe Interview – ‘Infirmity’

Impact Arts talks to Boo Jackson and Tom Heath-Harvey, who are kicking off the New Theatre’s Fringe season with their own writing: Infirmity, playing at the Nottingham New Theatre this week.

Let’s start with a brief synopsis of the play.

Tom: Infirmity is based around a couple – Connor and Charlotte – who have been together for years. Now in their early thirties, they’ve come to a couple’s counsellor- Peter – to explore the dynamics of their relationship and their past. They end up uncovering some dark truths about themselves, and an even darker secret which threatens to tear them apart.

The dictionary definition of ‘infirmity’ is a physical or mental weakness. Why did you choose this as a title?

Boo: The play is all about how Connor and Charlotte’s relationship starts to decay and weaken, which can be seen as a mental weakness on their part. There is also a point at the end of the play which is relevant to the title, but it would be giving too much away if I said what that was!

How did you go about writing the script?

Tom: We wanted to explore the dynamics of a relationship in which there is a complex question, but no definitive answer.

Boo: Because we wrote together, it was really easy to bounce lines back and forth and capture the essence of a real relationship, rather than me writing one chunk and Tom another. We started in Easter, and have been re-drafting since then.

Tom: It has meant  that there’s been a continuous feel to the play. The script has developed over time, just like the characters have grown and developed within the world of the play.

How is ‘Infirmity’ appropriate for a student audience?

Boo: The play traces a relationship which started at university so it’s relevant in that sense, but it also explores universal themes of relationships, love and friendship which makes it really applicable to a student audience.

Tom: I think the flashbacks within the play where we witness the couple’s time at university will be familiar to a student audience.

Boo: The flashbacks also have comedic, crude, almost silly undertones, which will be perfect for a student audience who will appreciate the dark, serious tone as well as being able to have a giggle at the sexual references.

And finally, if you could sum up ‘Infirmity’ in three words, what would they be?

Boo: Complex

Tom: Natural

Boo: Honest

Charlotte Van Rhee

‘Infirmity’ runs from 17th-18th November in the New Theatre Studio A. For more info, click here

Follow Impact Art on Facebook and Twitter.

ArtsInterviews