Scrutiny Panel: SU Officers Questioned

The second University of Nottingham Students’ Union scrutiny panel of the academic year took place on Tuesday 11th November 2014. The purpose of the panel, which is made up of elected representatives from the student body, is to be informed about the progress of the full-time SU officers and the part-time Environment and Social Justice Officer and to hold them to account for what they have done.

SU Education Officer, Adam BK, reported that students in catered halls will have access to an in-hall printer from Christmas. When questioned about a perceived lack of publicity for this development, he noted that the University’s Education Network decided not to announce the change themselves as it had already been communicated through official University channels.

Adam also said that off-campus halls were not covered by the changes to the printing system as “the University does not invest in halls it does not own”, but mentioned that he will continue to lobby for a change in position on this issue.

“The more we [the Students’ Union] look into it, the more we find that students want a safe way home”

Chloe Averill, SU Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer, reported that she intended to continue the work to done in providing a ‘safer taxi scheme’ for students, but did acknowledge that there is little student support for the introduction of a ‘safety bus’ scheme as a means of helping students return home safely from nights out. She added that, despite the lack of enthusiasm for a safety bus, “the more we [the Students’ Union] look into it, the more we find that students want a safe way home”.

SU Community Officer, Mike Olatokun, revealed that he had gained the support of local campaign group, Nottingham Citizens, in backing the introduction of a compulsory landlord register. However, he noted that he “didn’t get a solid commitment” from either local members of Nottingham City Council or Nottingham South MP, Lilian Greenwood on the plan.

He also revealed that the a decision had been reached by the Students’ Union about the chosen architect for the proposed redevelopment of Portland Building

SU President, Harry Copson, reported that he had visited three possible sites for the Lenton Hub and revealed that “one site is more suitable”. When questioned about the timing of the project, Harry said that “commercially, the project could be up and running by next year”, but also admitted his personal view that it could take up to three years to complete.

He also revealed that the a decision had been reached by the Students’ Union about the chosen architect for the proposed redevelopment of Portland Building, saying that Nottingham based company, CPMP Architects Ltd, were favoured based on “how they would consult and engage with students in the process”.

Kiri explained that she is currently working with the university registrar to draft a letter for all sports clubs to  “sign and return to the Sports Officer” which explains current Union policy on initiations in written form.

Kiri Madhani, SU Sports Officer, mentioned that planning for Varsity season had so far been very successful, mentioning that dates to play fixtures at the Capital FM Arena had been confirmed. She was also asked for her stance on the current system of dealing with sports club initiations. She replied that she was happy with the current disciplinary process as it follows Union policy and emphasised that there have been “no problems with any sports clubs this year”.

SU Activities Officer, Joe Caunce, was unable to attend this session of Scrutiny Panel and SU Postgraduate Officer, Anas A O Elhag, was on annual leave.

Jacob Bentley

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook