Style

Style News 14-21/11/2014

This week in Style…

1) Poppy Delevingne releases a swimwear range 

5

Just as the nights draw in and the rain starts beating down, another Delevingne, the model Poppy, fills our hearts with hope as she releases a new swimwear collaboration with Solid & Striped, reminding us that there is sun somewhere in the world. To be launched on Net-A- Porter and in Harvey Nichols on 4th December, the collection features a number of halter neck bikinis and cut-out one-pieces in a variety of bright colours and fun, summery prints. From flamingos to martini glasses, the patterned pieces will retail from £160 while the colour block pieces will be slightly cheaper at £150. Yes they are probably out of range of a student budget, but the collection really does epitomise summer and at the moment, I think most of us would give anything for some sun!

2) Job cuts at Jean Paul Gaultier

4

A demonstration of around 40 Gaultier staff members marched in protest through the Avenue Montaigne in Paris after the recent announcement of 29 jobs cuts. Jean Paul Gaultier announced this September that he is tired of the constant manufacturing of ready-to-wear items, and that his Spring/Summer 2015 collection would be the last. Preferring the haute-couture collections, two stores and one concession in Paris have been closed, resulting in the job cuts. Ralph Toledano, the president of the fashion division at the Puig group, which has holdings in Nina Ricci, Paco Rabanne, and Caroline Herrera as well as Jean Paul Gaultier, has made little comment, simply saying that “If people want to make a demonstration, it’s their right, and we respect that.”

3) Pirelli Calendar 2015

1

The world famous Pirelli calendar 2015 is set to be huge this year, with some of the biggest names in fashion involved. Photographed by Steven Meisel, Adriana Lima, Isabeli Fontana and Candice Huffine, as well as nine other gorgeous girls were styled by Carine Roitfield in the fetish-inspired edition. The Pirelli calendar is no small scale thing in the fashion industry: everyone from Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington and Kate Moss have bared all for the likes of Mario Testino, Annie Leibovitz and Karl Lagerfield and the results have been truly incredible. Possibly not one to have up on your wall when your parents visit, but it really is fashion lingerie at it’s best.

4) Celebrity Dress Auction at Topshop

3

Topshop will be auctioning off five stunning dresses worn by Jourdan Dunn, Kendell Jenner, Chanel Iman, Zoe Kravitz and Toni Garrn at the Met Gala in New York last May. The five dresses are truly exquisite and were designed at the Topshop atelier in London with the wearers in mind. All in bright, feminine colours and made in silk and satin, these bespoke pieces really are something, and with proceeds helping towards ‘Fashion Targets Breast Cancer’, the Ralph Lauren founded charity, they’re doing good too. I appreciate about four student loans will be needed to actually purchase one, but these beauties really are worth having a look at; they go on sale on eBay from November 27th for 10 days.

5) Burberry receives the Rodeo Drive Walk of Style Award

2

One of the most prestigious awards in the fashion world, the Rodeo Drive Walk of Style Award, celebrates all who receive it with a golden plaque to be set into the ground, in the same way stars adorn the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Burberry CEO and Chief Creative Officer Christopher Bailey received the award for the fashion label, which joins the likes of Tom Ford, Salvatore Ferragamo, Bulgari and Manolo Blahnik in this prestigious position, as well as individuals such as costume designer Edith Head, fashion photographer Mario Testino and Style Icon the Princess Grace of Monaco.

Harriet Papworth

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

Images: Rex, Pirelli, Mark Regas, Derek Kettela, AFP

StyleStyle News