Science

The End of Orange Wednesdays

Yesterday it was announced that Orange Wednesdays will be no more.

For the past 10 years, Orange Wednesdays has been a firm favourite in everyone’s diaries.

At its peak, Orange Wednesdays “was a massive success and an iconic promotion” – the company said in a statement. Created in 2003 to boost flagging cinema attendances, EE have chosen to focus on new pastures.

Since introducing 4G, EE have been trying to market itself as the digital addict’s carrier of choice. Their push towards 4G has seen them offer 100GB of free 4G data for those who sign up to a limited edition SIM.

Ofcom recently measured EE’s 4G connection as the fastest on the market, and with the rise of film streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and SkyGo, these faster speeds are more important than ever before. Users are now watching films more cheaply on their mobile devices and it has resulted in fewer requests for Orange Wednesday codes.

“After 10 great years our brand has changed and our customers’ viewing habits have also evolved so it’s time to move on.”

The two-for-one deal on cinema tickets and Pizza Express will be replaced by another “exclusive” offer in 2015.

The new offer probably won’t be cinema tickets, so make sure you use your Orange Wednesday codes before Wednesday February 25th 2015.

Paula Clerkin

You can follow Impact on Facebook and Twitter

Image courtesy of IBT

Science