Style

The Best and The Worst Dressed of 2014

Impact Style brings you a special edition of our regular The Best and The Worst, instead taking a look at the calibre of celebrity style over the past year.

Best Dressed of 2014

Lupita Nyong’o at the Oscars

bw10

Tara: This dress was pretty much the only thing I remember about the Oscars- considering that it’s one of the biggest nights in Hollywood, that is quite a claim. I think we can safely say that 2014 was Lupita’s year: not only has she won numerous accolades for her acting abilities, including an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, but she was also Glamour’s ‘Woman of the Year’ and People’s ‘Most Beautiful’ woman. To me, this Prada dress is utterly unforgettable. The powder blue colour, the floaty fabric, the plunging neckline and nipped-in waist: everything about it is beautiful. Inspired by the sky in her native Nairobi, champagne, and the silhouettes reminiscent of those worn by style icon Elizabeth Taylor, this gorgeous gown is an amalgamation of everything Lupita loves: it is something entirely personal to her, which makes it all the more special.

Emma Watson at the British Fashion Awards

bw6

Raphaela: If there was one woman to count on this year to shine extra bright on the red carpet it was Emma Watson. In fact I could have choosen any of her amazing outfits like the Dior trouser and dress combi or the elegant white maxi skirt with matching blouse she wore for the Royal Marsden Hospital’s Gala dinner but this one stood out to me. She looks effortlessly beautfiul in this stunning ivory jumpsuit by Alexander Wang. This outfit incoroporates everything I love about fashion: It’s simple, flattering and extraordinary!
Solange Knowles at her wedding

bw4

Zoe: Solange Knowles wedding which took place last November had to be the most stylish wedding of the year, if not ever. Rumour has it she had about six different outfit changes throughout the day but it was this amazing cream jumpsuit with coordinating cape that cemented her in my mind as one of the best dressed celebrities this year. Designed by Kenzo’s Humberto Leon, Solange donned this 70’s inspired flared jumpsuit for her pre wedding festivities. This jumpsuit oozes class, individuality and a hint of sass- three things which the perfect bride should definitely embody.
Rihanna at the CDFA Awards

bw1

Zoe: Who can forget this fashion moment of 2014? Forget about Kim Kardashian ‘breaking the internet’ I think it’s Rihanna who did that a lot earlier on when she chose to attend the Council of Fashion Designers Awards show in this see through crystal dress. Custom designed by Adam Selman, the 216,000 Swarovski crystals that make up this dress were put on by hand. I love the addition of the fur as well; not only does it help Rihanna retain a little bit of modesty ( if she wanted ) but I imagine that it came in pretty handy because that dress does not look warm. While this outfit is extremely daring it’s one of my favourite red carpet moments of 2014 because at the end of the day Rihanna looks incredible in it. Who could pull of this kind of dress better than Queen Ri-Ri? No-one -that’s who.

Worst Dressed of 2014

January Jones at the Hammer Museum Annual Gala in the Garden

bw5

Raphaela: Where there is a best there is a worst and as much as it pains me to say, for me, that someone was the usually well dressed January Jones. Making her fashion fail so much more tragic. Her jacquard Bottega Veneta dress was not just shocking pink, but also featured lace, metallic shine and an asymmetric hemline. It was well and truly the stuff nightmares are made off.

Lena Dunham at the Emmys
bw9
Tara: Now I’m not one to pick on others, but Lena has had some serious issues with her red carpet attire this year. Despite being spoilt for choice, the Giambattista Valli courture gown she wore to the Emmys was a clear winner in the not-so-stylish stakes. 2014’s love for ombre definitely worked on hair… but clothes? Not so much. The pale pink preppy blouse paired with a pouffy layered skirt transforms the actress into something resembling a french pastry… and not one that looks particularly delectable.

Rita Ora at the Met Gala

bw3

Zoe: I hate to say it but Rita Ora has committed a variety of fashion sins this year (check out our previous best and worst lists for a look) but her outfit for the Met Gala just topped the lot. She looks like she has just hopped off the set of a new Gladiator film and a tacky one at that. Goodness only knows what 2015 will bring for Rita but hopefully it will include a better sense of style. Meow.

Tara Bell, Zoe Williamson, Raphaela Ring, 

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

Credits: Harpers Bazarr, Eamonn McCormack, Rex Images, Jason Merritt/Getty Images, Rog Walker/ Richie Buxo, Splash News/ David Fisher, REX/ Film Magic, celebmafia.com

Style