Live Review: Southern, Rescue Rooms (09/02/15)

Supporting Hudson Taylor on their UK tour, the Belfast sibling duo kickstart their set with ‘Shout It’, an energetic track immediately showcasing their intricate vocal harmonies and accomplished instrumental work.

Punctuated with Blues-style guitar riffs and solos redolent of The White Stripes, the pair deftly catch the crowds’ attention with an ease not usually seen in support acts. ‘Just Think About It’ is up next, again paying tribute to their effortless harmonies. Occasionally Thom Southern addresses the crowd between songs, but the emphasis is always on the music rather than any showmanship.

Without needing too much imagination, the audience could easily be propelled into a cosy tavern somewhere in the far reaches of Northern Ireland

The duet’s reserved stage presence sits well with their modern folk-rock style, which at times has echoes of the traditional Irish folk music which surely lies at their roots. Without needing too much imagination, the audience could easily be propelled into a cosy tavern somewhere in the far reaches of Northern Ireland.

Nearing the end of their set comes ‘Cool Kid’ which stylistically sits slightly apart from the rest of their songs. The jangling guitar melodies underpinning the vocals feel more pop-orientated than others, and Thom’s voice isn’t a million miles away from Brett Anderson’s mid 90’s croon.

The two bounce off each other throughout the performance and their minimal onstage chat is endearing

The pair transition seamlessly into their penultimate track and conclude their set with ‘World Don’t Shine’. The two bounce off each other throughout the performance and their minimal onstage chat is endearing. The skilful intertwining of traditional folk with recognisable pop music makes it tricky to pin them to any one genre, and if their gigs continue to be as well executed as this one, it’s surely inevitable that their star will continue to rise.

Anna Hand

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Twitter