Style

STYLE NEWS 02/02/2014-09/02/2014

This week in style….

1) Jennifer Lawrence poses with a wild new accessory.

Vanity Fair published their March issue this week, which featured a photo shoot with a fierce twist. The photo spread starring esteemed actress Jennifer Lawrence, wearing nothing but a diamond bracelet and a Columbian Red-tailed Boa Constrictor, was taken by Photographer Patrick Demarchelier. After the controversy of Jennifer Lawrences’ leaked nude pictures in August last year, Lawrence shows that she is not ashamed to show off her fabulous figure but only on her terms.

2) John Galliano debuts new collection for Maison Margiela after four year break.

In the fashion world, John Gallianos’ return has been highly anticipated since it was announced in October. He has been on a four year break from the industry after he made anti-semetic remarks in a Paris Hotel in 2011. The incident caused him to step down as head designer for Christian Dior and he has remained under the radar until now. The Maison Margiela show featuring Gallianos’ most recent designs was unusual in many aspects. It is the norm for French fashion houses to put on their couture shows in Paris. However the collection was shown in London after the menswear shows. This may have been because Gallianos’ graduate collection was first picked up by London Boutique Brown thirty years ago so it seemed appropriate for his re-entry to the industry. The show brought many big names within the fashion industry to the FROW. Anna Wintour, Kate Moss and Christopher Bailey were just some of acclaimed guests who witnessed Galianos’ return to the world of Fashion. It is common opinion that the collection was more muted in comparison to previous collections, so it may have disappointed some fans of the designer, who is known for his lavish and extravagant designs. However, every piece did have his unconventional signature. It is too soon to tell whether he will ever be fully accepted back into the industry from which he was shunned from for years, but what is known is that he is one of the most talented designers of his generation.

3) Lara Stone as the new face of Kurt Geiger.

This week Lara Stone has been revealed as the new face of Kurt Geigers’ Spring Summer campaign. This campaign is the latest in the long list of designer brands of which she has been the face of in the past including Givenchy, Prada and Hugo Boss Orange. Most recently, Stone has featured in a Calvin Klein campaign co-starring with popstar Justin Bieber. After the birth of her first child she shows she is back with a vengeance in the grayscale print adverts and short films for this campaign, which were shot by Erik Torstensson.

Debut of Dame Helen Mirrens’ L’Oreal Advert.

This week meant the debut of L’Oreal Paris’ new Age Perfect Skincare advert featuring British actress Dame Helen Mirren. This came after Mirren signed on to be L’Oreals’ ambassador last October. She follows in the footsteps of Karlie Kloss, Naomi Watts and Julianne Moore, who have all been the face of L’Oreal products. However, when the sixty-nine year old signed on to feature in the new Age Perfect campaign she was insistent that her appearance in the advert was to remain untouched by photo editing software. Mirren offered her own twist to L’Oreals’ customary strapline “Because we’re worth it.” As she exchanged it for “Are we worth it? More than ever.”. It definitely appears that one of the Dames’ appearance in this campaign is to revolutionise women’s’ attitude to aging.

Topshop Names New Design Director.

This week high street retailer, Topshop, named their new Design Director, Jacqui Markham. Markham will become part of the retailers in house design team alongside Katie Phelan, Topshops’ creative director. Markham is no stranger to the retailer as she has previously worked within the company for fourteen years before taking the Design Director position at online retailer ASOS. Markham hopes to enhance Topshops’ position in the market whilst it continues its international expansion. This is the second major announcement from Topshop this week. Earlier in the week it was confirmed that Kendall and Kylie Jenner will be collaborating with Topshop to produce a capsule collection that will be released in Summer 2015.

Jo Grimwood

Images: vanityfair.com, guardian.com, vogue.co.uk, express.co.uk

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

StyleStyle News