Fire at house on Derby Grove

UPDATE 25/03/2015, 14:00pm: A man has died following the Derby Grove house fire that started on Sunday and another man has been charged with his murder.

Sekou Soumare, 56, has been charged with the murder of Christopher Bonnick, 55, who died of his injuries following a house fire at his home on Derby Grove.

Soumare appeared at the Nottingham Magistrates Court on Tuesday but made no indication to the charge of murder.

He is due to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on Wednesday and was remanded in custody.

Firefighters and police were called to a house on Derby Grove, Lenton at around 12.40pm on Sunday.

It is believed that the fire started in the kitchen of the property. Police have cordoned off one lane of Derby Road and the end of Derby Grove whilst paramedics and police are in attendance.

A spokesman from Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Two appliances are on scene and crews are using breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to tackle the fire.”

Shreya Shah, UoN student, told Impact, “There were two fire engines, an ambulance and a couple of police cars. Someone was stretchered out with burns to the head around 1pm. It was really traumatising to see and I hope they are okay.”

Caroline Chan

Image: Caroline Chan