UoN Men’s Hockey captain hails ‘superb’ BUCS victory

The University of Nottingham (UoN) Men’s 1st Team Hockey captain Andy Dalman has hailed his team’s ‘superb’ victory over Loughborough after claiming the BUCS Championship title on Wednesday.

UoN won 4-2 on penalty flicks in the final against the reigning champions on their own pitch, having beaten Bristol, Bath and Durham along the way.

Finishing fourth in the Premier North league with four wins and five losses throughout the season, Uni beat the odds and pulled off something of an upset.

“It’s absolutely great to win,” Dalman told Sportsbeat after the game. “We’ve got international players in the squad, but for a few of us, this is the biggest it will get.

“We’re really happy. We’ve got to thank our coach David Ames, he’s an international hockey player and he drives up and down the M1 every week to sort us out. He’s a quality coach.”

The UoN faithful put aside their deadlines and came in their numbers on #BIGWednesday, the finals day across all BUCS sports, to back the boys in green and gold.

UoN Men’s Hockey captain Dalman: “Beating Loughborough at Loughborough, I can’t ask for anything more. It’s absolutely superb.”

“You can see what it means to Uni – 300 have come down to support us so it means everything to all the boys playing.

“We’ve got Varsity after Easter against Trent but, beating Loughborough at Loughborough, I can’t ask for anything more. It’s absolutely superb.”

UoN take on Nottingham Trent University in Varsity Hockey on Tuesday 5th May at Beeston Hockey Club (Men’s 1pm, Ladies’ 3pm).

John Mastrini

@honzamastrini

Video: Ben Baker, editor at Sportsbeat (the official media partner of BUCS)

21-year-old Ameri-Czech student of Politics & Economics at the University of Nottingham. Sports Editor @impactmagazine. FFC worshipper. European.