Varsity Football Preview: Do the IMS All-Stars Stand a Chance?

Everyone loves a David versus Goliath tale, and although we won’t go as far as calling Trent ‘Goliath’, this year’s Varsity Football will be a true underdog contest. With the UoN Men’s 1sts being reprimanded for ‘initiation-style behaviour’ earlier this year with a ban from the 2015 Series, the University will be represented by the best talents Intra-Mural Sport (IMS) has to offer. A tough selection process whittled down trialists from UoN society and halls teams to a final squad of 17. But with Trent looking to extend their three-year Varsity winning streak, do the IMS All-Stars stand a chance?

UoN captain Charlie Barthorp thinks they have every chance of victory on May 1st. “The fact people are writing us off makes us hungrier to win,” said the former NUFC centre back. “We’ve proved in training that we’re up to the challenge and have the ability to do well at Varsity.”

It will be quite a challenge. Trent have an excellent Varsity record, winning the last three matches despite their inferior league position to the UoN’s 1st team. Trent 1sts have also had a pretty good season. Despite two friendly losses to UoN – 5-1 and 2-1 – their league form in BUCS Midlands 1A led them to the title (W6 D2 L2) and into the play-offs for promotion to the BUCS Premier North, which is home to our first team.

Barthorp recognises the task they face this Friday. He told Impact: “We will come up against a strong, well-organised team but we will have to work hard as a unit to break them down. Only we know where we stand from training and we know we have the desire to win.”

Striker Sutcliffe has 15 goals from 10 games this season for Broadgate Park Seniors, who won the Games in China last year

Desire, however, will only get you so far. But there is no doubt that the IMS All-Stars have talent in abundance. Every IMS team, 11- or 7-a-side, was permitted to send two players to go to trials for Varsity, and after several trials the squad was cut to 20 and then to 17. Most of the players will be playing in the Tri-Campus Games play-offs with their respective IMS teams, a demonstration of the quality on show.

Oliver Sutcliffe has 15 goals from 10 games this season for Broadgate Park Seniors, who won the Games in China last year. The striker believes the All-Stars have the quality to see them through.

“We might not be as technically skilled as some of the Trent boys. But all of the lads can play and will be putting everything on the line to win and probably turn a few heads in the process,” he said.

Nick Pritchard, who plays alongside Sutcliffe for the University’s Futsal 1st team, echoed this sentiment: “The talent on show is a testament to the depth of the IMS system.

“Every player without a doubt will put everything in on the day and play to their best, representing the University to the standard it deserves,” the midfielder added.

Captain Barthorp: “Underdogs or not, if we play as well as we know we can, then we’re definitely in with a shout. We’re as prepared as we possibly could be”

It would appear that no-one can question the desire and drive of the team. Yet there is still no doubt that the All-Stars will go into the game as underdogs.

Barthorp, however, doesn’t believe that these kinds of labels are important.

“Neither of us really know too much about each other, so it’s hard to say who is the underdog.

“But for us, underdogs or not, if we play as well as we know we can, then we’re definitely in with a shout. We’re as prepared as we possibly could be,” the centre-back said.

The squad are clearly confident in their own abilities and that of their teammates. So do they stand a chance? Well, in the words of Ed Miliband, hell yes.

Anything can happen in football. Ask Bradford City fans. Complacency, desire, luck as well as the pressures of Varsity will all come into play as UoN look for a first Varsity football title for the first time since 2011. The IMS All-Stars have every faith that they can do just that.

To witness the action yourself, get down to Meadow Lane on Friday 1st May (Women’s KO: 5pm, Men’s KO: 7.30pm).

IMS All-Stars squad: Glatman (GK), Barthorp (c), Evbota, Moir, Pickles, Davis, Fletcher, Colman, Russell, Dante-Hart, Sutcliffe; Scotland (GK), Arnold, Neuendorf, Schembri, Pritchard, Chiddention

Matt Smith

Follow live Varsity updates on Twitter with @ImpactVarsity15

Image: UoN IMS Facebook

SportVarsity

21-year-old Ameri-Czech student of Politics & Economics at the University of Nottingham. Sports Editor @impactmagazine. FFC worshipper. European.