Trailer Watch – Cooties

CTS_003765.CR2

Elijah Wood is back, and continuing to differentiate himself from Lord Of the Rings. Cooties sits comfortably in his new-found genre home, horror. However, it’s unlike anything you’ve seen him in before. Unless you can think of another film with teachers fighting zombie schoolchildren.

Political correctness aside, there are numerous opportunities for wry humour. The trailer fully embraces zombie clichés, adding its own school-based twist. Food-born virus? Check! But this one’s spread through school-dinners. How about the suiting-up montage in ‘every action film’. Well, as Wade Johnson (Rainn Wilson) points out, ‘this is that scene’. The self-deprecating humour has definitely been influenced by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller’s Jump Street re-boot. But this isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

As for the acting talent, besides Elijah Wood, there aren’t really any Hollywood ‘A-listers’. Not that it matters. Even in these short clips, Rainn Wilson looks hilariously over-the-top as a washed-up PE teacher. It’s the ensemble that brings the humour, and the cast has some great rapport. One of the best moments is when they move from cries of help, to the exact oppose, warning passers-by to stay away. It all happens in a matter of seconds, and the contrast is hilarious.

Given that blockbusters dominate the box-office, it’s nice to see a lower-budget film that looks promising. Will it be as fun as it appears? You’ll have to wait til it hits theatres to find out.

Joe Jones

Click here for more Trailer Watch

Let us know your thoughts on the latest trailer via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment.