Trailer Watch – San Andreas

Who better to star in an earthquake disaster movie than Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson? Straight off the back of Furious 7, this latest effort aims to maintain his image as the toughest guy in Hollywood. If all goes to plan, come April 22nd the earthquake won’t know what hit it.

That’s not to say San Andreas is in any way camp. On the contrary, combining a sombre rendition of California Dream with gratuitous images of destruction, the ‘gritty’ tone is firmly established. After a devastating earthquake hits California, helicopter pilot Ray Gaines (Johnson) and ex-wife Emma (Carla Gugino) join forces to find their estranged daughter, Blake (Alexandra Daddario). The trailer shows glimpses of a possible romance, but otherwise it’s all pretty generic. Mass destruction has been done many times before, so it’s disappointing that there’s little more on show than sweeping shots of city’s collapsing and dramatic close-ups of civilians running.

‘Where will you be when everything falls apart?’ Well, Warner Bros. is hoping that you’re in a cinema with a bucket of popcorn. Is The Rock enough to put a new spin on a tired genre? Will it draw out the masses? We’ll just have to wait and see with this one.

Joe Jones

Click here for more Trailer Watch

Let us know your thoughts on the latest trailer via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment.