Album Review: The Parrots – ‘Weed For The Parrots’

Madrid three-piece, The Parrots, release some more material with their second EP Weed For The Parrots.

The band have had a string of previous releases included their split 7” earlier in the year with their animalistic, Spanish compatriots Hinds – a pretty obvious match of bands. The Parrotts’ sound is a rougher, punkier cousin to the lo-fi pop of Hinds: think the brasher material of the likes of The Damned or Richard Hell and the Voidoids.

Opening track ‘Terror’ rings out like a harsh, lo-fi cover of Dylan’s  ‘Honey Just Allow Me On More Chance’: overexcited and short, like a group of hyperactive teenagers unsure what to do with their energy. It’s hard not to hear traces of Plastic Bertrand’s upbeat classic ‘Ça Plane Pour Moi’.

If the band want to achieve more widespread success they perhaps need to release slightly more structured, accessible material akin to their cover of the Almighty Defenders’ ‘All My Loving’ released earlier in the year. Nonetheless, The Parrots have a lot of potential – not least due to the growing attention Hinds have drawn to Madrid’s garage-rock scene.

8/10

‘Weed for the Parrots’ is set for release on Luv Luv Luv Records on limited edition 10” vinyl and digital download on June 22nd

Ian Fillingham

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Twitter