Graduation Ball under fire

The Graduation Ball held on Tuesday at Donington Hall has come under fire by students who attended the event and residents of the Castle Donington area.

Final year students took to the Graduation Ball 2015 Facebook page to complain about the cost of food and alcohol within the location, what they felt was an overcrowded venue, and alleged difficulties accessing free drinking water despite alcohol being served.

Tickets were £37 for transport to the location and to attend the ball, and rose to £70 if the dining experience was included.

However, some students suggested that prices within the venue were more expensive than they had expected.

“When we got to the bar, we were told that a bottle of water would cost £3”

Caroline Chan, a third year Politics and Economics student, told Impact: “When we got to the bar, we were told that a bottle of water would cost £3. I feel like we did not get value for money. Drinks were expensive, the food for the ents tickets was also an add-on”.

She added: “To people saying to offer us more would have pushed prices up, Oxbridge students pay £100 or more for their balls and get meals, alcohol and good entertainment. I am sure we would be willing to pay that price if it meant we were guaranteed a good evening”.

Harry Copson, President of the Students’ Union (SU), spoke to Impact about pricing at the event. He said: “We were disappointed with some of the high pricing, which is something the events team will look to pick up with the venue”.

Students also claimed that they were asked to write down card details as card machines stopped working during the event.

“I wrote my card details down to pay for a drink. In hindsight, it was stupid”

A final year English student, who wishes to remain anonymous, told Impact: “I wrote my card details down to pay for a drink. In hindsight, it was stupid. I think it is terrible as drunk people, me included, are more inclined to do that, but there was no other alternative”.

The student also commented on the lack of free water. “There was no free water and at £3 a bottle, unless you wanted to get it out of the portaloo toilet tap or wait for a bus, this was the only way to access water”.

“We managed to get over the disappointment and have a good time”

Despite that, the student told Impact: “We managed to get over the disappointment and have a good time”.

Speaking of the complaint that free drinking water was unavailable, Harry Copson told Impact: “The issue of a lack of drinking water was brought to our attention in the latter stages of the event and we will be raising it with the caterers”.

He continued: “Our Union policy, and more importantly the legal position, is clear and we will address this quickly”.

Residents of Castle Donington also took to the Students’ Union’s Facebook page to complain about being kept awake by the noise from the event.

Residents claimed on the page that they would complain to the local authorities after music was reportedly still being played at 2.50 am.

In response to these complaints, Harry Copson told Impact: “The licence was agreed by the police and the local council and ran until 3 am”.

“Last night’s event was a culmination of months of hard work on behalf of many students and staff alike”

He added: “I would like to challenge a few of the public comments that have been made in relation to the Students’ Union staff. Whilst we welcome constructive feedback on the Grad Ball and indeed all of our services, it is both inappropriate and offensive to make comments about the efforts and work of SU staff members.

“Last night’s event was a culmination of months of hard work on behalf of many students and staff alike, and I think that it is incredibly disappointing that some people feel it’s appropriate to undermine their hard work”.

He assured Impact that the Students’ Union will be asking for students’ feedback on the event to ensure that it continues to improve, and that the opportunity to give feedback will be available “as soon as possible”.

Tamsin Parnell

Image: John Horner via Flickr

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter

• Average Joe
    18 June 2015 at 12:37