Toyland Murders @ NNT Fringe

The term noir is not something typically associated with puppetry; in fact, those two terms partnered is rather baffling and absurd. However, Ben Hollands and the rest of his creative team have done an incredible job of creating a production that is not only something fresh and new, but something that is honestly faultless.

Toyland Murders follows Inspector Carmen McGraw and her sidekick, Deputy Harvey, as they attempt to solve the mystery of a major murder spree that has hit town. The best thing: Carmen is a ragdoll and Harvey is a rather adorable teddy bear. Along the way we also meet an eclectic mix of characters: Snake eyes, Monty the pig, Lola – the dolly version of Jessica Rabbit, Scratch – Carmen’s ‘arch nemesis’, and finally the mysterious Jack, whom all toys seem to fear.

Amy Brough-Akin’s portrayal of Inspector McGraw gives the story an invaluably strong lead that carries the story from start to finish

The cast do an incredible job of bringing to life their characters, each utilising the combined skills of puppetry, naturalistic acting, and surprisingly good versions of the New York English accent that is typical of noir dramas. Amy Brough-Akin’s portrayal of Inspector McGraw gives the story an invaluably strong lead that carries the story from start to finish. James Roscow gives another essence to the production as the timid and innocently witty Harvey which balances out Carmen’s abrasive nature. Together, these two actors work tremendously to create a believable partnership that is easy for an audience to believe and love. The main actors are supported by an amazing ensemble consisting of Charlotte Kirkman, Emilie Britton, Anna Scholes, Sasha Gibson, and Gus Herbert; each actor bringing their own individual flavour to this remarkable production. Here, it is important to mention that each actor deserves praise because no actor was a weak link (although I do have a soft spot for Harvey).

Whoever thought it is possible to be emotionally connected to puppets!

It is not primarily the actors that carry the production; all facets of the production are slick. The collective use of voiceovers, music, props, and the utilisation of the entire performance space, all create a truly unmissable production. The directorial choices that have been made are some of the most conclusive and rewarding I have even seen; not once can you anticipate what happens next!

Whoever thought it is possible to be emotionally connected to puppets! At first it is difficult to associate the characters with the puppets not the actors because the actors’ faces and expressions can be seen, but this does pass and as the play progresses it is easy to ‘ignore’ the actors.

The collective use of voiceovers, music, props, and the utilisation of the entire performance space, all create a truly unmissable production

The biggest applause must go to Ben Holland for his witty script and characters that brings to life a world we all wanted to be real as kids, and because of his imagination, it is a play that absolutely everyone will love thanks to the childlike characters, adult humour, and the beautiful portrayal of a magic world.

The Toyland Murders is a must see, and I genuinely believe that it is the strongest piece of student theatre I have seen at Nottingham New Theatre this year.

10/10

Jessica Millott

Follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter for more