University of Nottingham receives Alcohol Impact accreditation

The University of Nottingham and the University of Nottingham’s Students’ Union have been awarded an Alcohol Impact mark of accreditation, the National Union of Students (NUS) announced on Tuesday.

The partnership between the University of Nottingham and the Students’ Union is one of seven accredited with the Alcohol Impact mark, presented by NUS Vice President Colum McGuire at the Home Office on Tuesday 23rd June.

Funded by the Home Office during its pilot year, the Alcohol Impact scheme aims to create a positive culture of responsible drinking and helps students’ unions and universities to promote responsible behaviour on campuses and in communities.

The accreditation is said to signal a commitment to encouraging a healthy, inclusive campus experience, and is obtained through students’ unions working in partnership with institutions to fulfil a list of criteria.

“It has been great to be a part of the Alcohol Impact scheme this year”

Chloe Averill, Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer, said: “It has been great to be a part of the Alcohol Impact scheme this year, promoting responsible alcohol consumption and especially safe transport”.

Chloe’s work introducing the Safer Taxi Scheme is Nottingham has seen her rewarded with this accreditation. The University’s partnership with DG Cars ensures students get home safely at a fixed price.

“This demonstrates a commitment to providing an inclusive campus environment for students across the country”

Colum McGuire, NUS Vice President (Welfare), said: “We are delighted that seven sets of students’ unions and institutions are being awarded the accreditation, demonstrating a commitment to providing an inclusive campus environment for students across the country”.

Following the scheme’s success, Alcohol Impact will be rolled out across the UK and made available for all universities and students’ unions to participate in.

Mike Penning, Minister of State for Policing, Crime, Criminal Justice and Victims, said: “I would like to congratulate the seven universities and students’ unions who have gained the Alcohol Impact mark of accreditation”.

He added: “I hope more universities and students’ unions will now begin the accreditation process as the scheme is rolled out across the country”.

Among the accredited institutions and students’ unions are Loughborough University and Students’ Union and Manchester Metropolitan University and Students’ Union.

Tamsin Parnell

Image: University of Nottingham Students’ Union

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter