Grand Tour to boost Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire economies

£350,000 project has been planned to link four cultural venues across Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire in an effort to increase tourism and boost the local economy.

The aim is to increase visitor numbers with a number of exhibitions set to run in September.

‘the formative cultural experience of the 18th century traveller – made modern day.’

The venues taking part include Nottingham Contemporary, Chatsworth House, Derby Museum and the Harley Gallery in partnership with Experience Nottinghamshire and Visit Peak District & Derbyshire.

The project was inspired by an 18th Century tradition in which the wealthy toured Europe’s cultural sites. It has been described as ‘the formative cultural experience of the 18th century traveller – made modern day,’ by the official Grand Tour website.

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire were chosen due to their connections to the original tours which helped to shape the art collection at Chatsworth in Derbyshire, and the Welbeck Estate in Nottinghamshire.

A colossal Roman marble foot from the home will be on display in Nottingham and in Derby

Artist Pablo Bronstein, at Nottingham Contemporary, will design a display of hand-picked objects from Chatsworth House’s collection including works by Frans Hals and Rembrandt.

It will also include work from Turner Prize-winner Simon Starling, Rose English, Peter Blake and architect Rem Koolhaas.

A colossal Roman marble foot from the home will be on display in Nottingham and in Derby the Wright Revealed exhibition focuses on two rare paintings by Joseph Wright an 18th Century painter.

The Grand Tour project has been co-founded by the National Lottery and the Arts Council to help create cultural destinations around the UK.

Hannah Eves

Image: BBC News

Follow Impact News on facebook and twitter