5 Reasons to visit the Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Are you interested in theatre? Perhaps comedy? Or cabaret? Do you enjoy visiting the circus, musicals or opera? Spoken word or dance, exhibitions or live music, the Edinburgh Fringe Festival has it all, as the performing and visual arts industries converge on Scotland’s capital for a month of fun, frivolity and fantastic performances. As a performer last year, I can honestly say the Fringe is an amazing experience and I had the time of my life… here’s why.

1. WORLD CLASS PERFORMANCES AT VERY VERY CHEAP PRICES

Where else in the world can you see world-renowned shows and premieres for a fraction of their usual price? Comics such as Al Murray, Alan Davies and Stephen K. Amos for just over a tenner? Yes please! Amazing premieres on offer before their national tours begin? Theatre written by some of the biggest playwrights exclusively for the Fringe? (Last year’s Simon Stephens debut was amazing!!) I’m definitely in! Alongside the ridiculously cheap prices, a vast majority of events are free, whilst the Virgin Money Half Price Hut allows you to buy discounted tickets on the day of the performance. There are also concession prices and 2 for 1 ticket offers at many venues – trust me, you can get some real bargains!

2. ACCESSIBILITY

I know Edinburgh is far away for many of us here at Nottingham, but despite the initial trek up north, once you’re actually in Edinburgh itself, the venues are remarkably accessible. Most are within walking distance or may call for a brief and occasional taxi trip. Many are in the centre of the city’s Old and New Towns, and their proximity to pretty much everywhere, only adds to the Fringe’s appeal.

3. DIVERSITY

As mentioned above, every type of genre imaginable is possible, and indeed present at the Fringe Festival. Last year, I went from watching a steampunk musical version of Dracula to a midnight promenade performance of Trainspotting within two hours. Both were amazing and this year’s performances are guaranteed to be even better! Make sure you plan your performances wisely though – this year over 3000 shows are registered to perform, and you’ll be lucky if you get to see a fraction of the performances you want to watch, unless you’re there for the entire month!

4. ATMOSPHERE

There is honestly no feeling that compares to being surrounded by people who love the arts as much as you do. From every corner of the globe, performers and visitors descend on Edinburgh, turning it into an even more vibrant, busy and colourful city. The hub of the Fringe is undoubtedly the Old Town’s Royal Mile, where surrounded by the wonderful architecture, visitors can see ad hoc street performances, witness the publicity efforts of the many shows and be presented with enough show flyers to paper the Scottish National Gallery with!

5. SUPPORT

Many performance companies at the Fringe are premiering new shows, or are first-time Fringers, and it is incredible that due to the nature of the Festival, anyone from student to professional theatre companies are able to perform. Whilst there, for example, you can support UoN’s Fringe regulars, the Nottingham New Theatre, with their productions of devised Open and student written Cheque Please?, which promise to be as successful as in previous years.

The Edinburgh Fringe Festival is a wonderful experience for performers and audience members alike, and truly opens your eyes to the diversity of the arts world. This year, the Festival runs from Friday 7th to Monday 31st August and is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity – no two Fringes are the same! So I encourage you to visit Edinburgh and be blown away by what the Fringe has to offer. You won’t regret it.

Amy Wilcockson

The Edinburgh Fringe Festival runs from 7th – 31st August

Image: Sourced via Edinburgh Fringe Festival Society

Follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter for more

ArtsArts Features