IMPACT Gig Guide – October 2015

IMPACT is proud to bring you our very own monthly Notts Gig Guide. With so much great live music around, we’re here to modestly recommend the biggest and best from around the city that you should check out over the next month.

Friday 2nd – Peace (+ Splashh + Yak) // Rock City

The effervescent joyfulness of this midlands quartet returns to Nottingham on the 2nd, after three sold out back-to-back shows at The Bodega earlier this year. Supported by other indie favourites Splashh and Yak, Peace return on the back of their second acclaimed LP Happy People which has seen them take to the stage at various festivals over the summer, including performing a secret set at Reading at the end of August. Having amassed a loyal fanbase across the country, their soaring indie-pop hits such as ‘Lovesick’ and ‘World Pleasure’ will undoubtedly draw a big crowd to Rock City.

Listen to: I’m a Girl, World Pleasure, Lost On Me

Friday 9th – Sleaford Mods // Rock City

16254761384_a5b8479425_o

Following ubiquitous critical acclaim for their latest LP, Sleaford Mods’ Key Markets tour comes home to Nottingham on the 9th at Rock City. After a busy summer of touring – including sets at Glastonbury, End of the Road and even Banksy’s Dismaland – this duo from Grantham are set to provide another raucous set fuelled by frontman Jason Williamson’s biting critiques of modern society and culture. With post-punk and hip-hop influences from the likes of The Fall to Wu-Tang Clan, and supported by another homegrown favourite Kagoule, Sleaford Mods cannot be missed in front of a homecoming crowd.

Listen to: Tied Up In Nottz, Face to Faces, Tarantula Deadly Cargo

Friday 9th– Gengahr // The Bodega

Gengahr_supporting_Alvvays_at_Birthdays

For an evening of dreamy, grooving psych-pop, check out Gengahr’s Nottingham stop on their first headline tour. Having gained attention performing with Wolf Alice and Alt-J, their debut LP released earlier this year – A Dream Outside – melts trippy vocals and hooks over poppy structures and chorus lines with a psychedelic finish to boot. An exciting band with already some real longevity apparent, Gengahr are ones to watch from now on.

Listen to: She’s A Witch, Heroine, Powder

Sunday 11th – Years & Years // Rock City

London’s electronica outfit Years and Years may only be five years old and have only one LP to their name, but they’re already big hitters. Their July release Communion shot straight to the UK number one, and they made a name for themselves killing it at Glastonbury over summer. Their arrival at Rock City on the 11th will probably be one of your last chances to see them intimately – in years to come they might just be down the road at the Arena instead.

Listen to: King, Shine, Desire

Tuesday 20th – Hot Chip // Rock City 

hot_chip

The slightly geeky face of electro-pop comes to Nottingham this October. London’s Hot Chip, now fifteen years old, were very well received in our recent coverage at the Green Man festival, and not surprisingly; notorious for energetic and dance-ready performances, expect to hear much from their acclaimed sixth album Why Make Sense on the 20th. On the record they tried to lay down tracks in three to four days in order to recreate the live experience.  With a unique eye towards the performance element, Hot Chip are one not to miss.

Listen to: Over and Over, Ready For The Floor, Need You Now

Sunday 25th – Darwin Deez // The Bodega

5906549497_02c98a2fbc_b

Darwin Deez return to promote their third album, Double Down, released in mid-September, in the intimate arena of Nottingham’s Bodega. Having struggled with a difficult second LP, Double Down hopes to revive the acclaim for this New York four-piece that was inspired by their debut in 2010 – a feat that seems achievable following the release of their lead single ‘Kill Your Attitude’ earlier this year. With indie-pop hooks and relatable lyricism abound, make sure to catch Darwin and co. on the UK leg of their tour.

Listen to: Radar Detector, Up in the Clouds, Kill Your Attitude

Thursday 29th – Blackalicious // Rescue Rooms 

Blackalicious_at_Paid_Dues

A gig at one of the smallest venues in Nottingham would usually mean a chance to get in early on an up and coming gem, but this one’s different. Californian hip-hop duo Blackalicious have been going since 1992, with three albums under their belt and a fourth release on the 18th of September. If you haven’t heard of them yet, you’re in for a treat as all of their LPs have been highly acclaimed.  Take a rare chance to see DJ Chief Xcel and MC Gift Of The Gab so intimately while you can.

Listen to: Alphabetic Aerobics, Make You Feel That Way, Deception

Friday 30th – Radkey // The Bodega

share

The three Radke brothers from Missouri are to visit The Bodega a day before Halloween, bringing with them the homegrown garage punk and distinctive vocals that have helped them to carve out their reputation. They released their debut album this year – Dark Black Makeup – after more than three years of song writing and touring as Radkey. Having supported the likes of Drenge previously, Radkey are sure to impress on their ten-date headline UK tour for Dark Black Makeup.

Listen to: Cat & Mouse, Love Spills, Dark Black Makeup

Liam Inscoe-Jones & James Noble

Follow Impact Music on Facebook and Twitter