Trailer Watch – Downton Abbey Series 6

Sad times are ahead for period drama fans as ITV’s iconic Downton Abbey comes to an end this autumn with a sixth and final series. After following the trials and tribulations of the Crawley family, through happiness and sorrow, the new series’ intriguingly bittersweet trailer skilfully creates a sense of anticipation for the series ahead.

Doors are symbolically closed, there’s a sense of déjà vu harking back to Series One with the hunt, and snapshots of the cast are both familiar and unsettling. Set to the haunting strains of ‘Time to Say Goodbye’, this teaser appears to show the family leaving the Abbey – perhaps for the last time?

Created by Julian Fellowes, and starring Dame Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, Michelle Dockery and Joanne Froggatt, Downton Abbey has become one of Britain’s most celebrated TV series and has made Hollywood stars of the cast. All is not lost however, and this might not be the end – it is no surprise that many predict a big budget Downton Abbey film will be the cast’s next endeavour.

Viewers will soon find out the Crawleys’ television fate with the final series airing on ITV on Sunday 20th September, culminating in a special episode on Christmas Day. Hopefully fans won’t be weeping into their turkey!

Amy Wilcockson

Click here for more Trailer Watch

Let us know your thoughts on the latest trailer via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment.