Music

Album Review: Drake & Future – What A Time To Be Alive

This joint project from Future and Drake represents the coming together of two of the biggest artists in hip-hop right now. Future himself had come off releasing 3 acclaimed projects culminating in the Billboard 200 chart topping DS2. On the other hand, Drake’s year saw him doing what Drake had usually been doing for the last 6 years – dominating the hip-hop scene and adding to his already sky-high stock. While they had co-ordinated on previous tracks, namely the fourth single from Future’s DS2, ‘Where Ya At’, this project in particular represented a heavy clash of styles, Future’s hazy trap sound with Drake’s signature blend of rapping and singing. As such, one could question whether the two could create an effective project to build on their already highly successful 2015.

The opening track, ‘Digital Dash’ represents an indicator of what to expect on the album – despite Drake being the bigger, and arguably more musically talented artist, he submits to Future’s style and sound, bringing back his hard-hitting flows seen on his tracks such as ‘6pm in New York’ or ‘5am in Toronto’, and largely ditching the open hearted flow that he is usually associated with. This submission also sees Future take the lead, especially with the opening track. While Drake is memorable on this introduction, Future uses his signature talent in line with the production – his lyrics go seamlessly with Metro’s beat and it seems all too effortless, sad to say unlike Drake’s. However this is rectified throughout the album, and while one can still see that a tape with a style such as this is far from homely for Drake, he still makes it work, and to a high level. Rather, in spite of it being an alien environment for him, it is here where he showcases his near endless talent and affinity to adhere to various situations within music.

‘Diamonds Dancing’ is another example of this. It is by far one of the standout tracks on the album, where both artists blend their individual styles to compliment one another. While Future is oft noted for his drug heavy music, he combines it here with a more emotional tone, creating a exchange with Drake. In a way they both manage to exchange and mix their individuality on the track – culminating in something… epic to say the least. There are a number of tracks in which this is the case, such as ‘Scholarships’ and ‘Change Locations’ and ‘Jumpman’, all three of which being further examples of how the two artists blend together, almost to a similar level as Jay Z and Kanye West way back in 2011 on Watch the Throne. The closing act of the project is also worthy of a mention, with the album ending on two solo tracks from each artist. While each revert to their typical styles, they do so in a fitting way for the album.

“Suffice to say, ’30 for 30’ itself is the song that epitomises Drake’s evolution over the years and cements his position at the top of the music world”

For instance the preceding tracks on the album highlight the highs of their success, their ‘Big Rings’ (which Drake ensures we’ll never forget with that oh so repetitive hook), these last two tracks can be said to hover on the difficulties of it all. On the surface, ‘Jersey’ can be seen as Future speaking on the rewards of his success, however one can notice that such rewards are laced with the difficulties he’s faced – both in the tone of the song and its low-key production, and the frequent references to drug use which in Future’s world, is a noted escape method. The final track, ’30 for 30’, from Drake is similar in vein. A special mention must be given to its producer, Noah ’40’ Shebib for the beat is simply sumptuous, featuring his trademark piano keys under a pitched down flanged sample of one of Drake’s 2007 songs, ‘Closer’. The track itself is a response to the critics, the hanger-ons and all of the difficulties that accompany the life of a superstar hip-hop artist. His flow in particular is a similar one to the aforementioned song ‘Closer’, but this is far from ’07 Drake, this is him in a completely evolved state, both buoyed and overwhelmed by the success that evolution has brought his way. Suffice to say, ’30 for 30’ itself is the song that epitomises Drake’s evolution over the years and cements his position at the top of the music world.

What a Time to Be Alive. Indeed, it is a great time when two colossal artists of the hip-hop world manage to collaborate on such a level and create a project worthy of all the diamonds that gloss the album’s artwork. While there is a negative here or there to the album, it is still one of the best hip-hop projects this year.

Shaun is currently listening to ‘SLS’ by PARTYNEXTDOOR

Shaun Brewster

Follow Impact Music on Facebook and Twitter

Music

Co-Editor of the Music Section at University of Nottingham's IMPACT Magazine.