Album Review: Protomartyr – The Agent Intellect

Protomartyr return with a third full-length effort, which is not only their best to date, but certainly one of the best of 2015.

Since their inception as a band half a decade ago, the Detroit-based four-piece have largely found a sound and stuck to it, preferring to hone and tinker their very English-sounding post-punk than enter completely new territory. However, with practice comes perfection and if 2014’s Under Color Of Official Right was a career landmark, The Agent Intellect takes this a step further, adding a subtle beauty to their already scuzzy, riff-soaked post-punk.

What is most noticeable immediately upon listening to a Protomartyr song are Joe Casey’s vocals. He’s a decade older than the rest of the band and sings with a certain gravitas that makes it clear – his largely sardonic sneers on modern life transcending the music, proving that they work on their own as standalone pieces of art.

It is a testament to Casey’s compulsive delivery that despite his largely restricted vocal range, the likes of ‘The Devil In His Youth’ and ‘I Forgive You’ are propelled by his rambling observations. His influence on the band is no more apparent than on album highlight ‘Dope Cloud’, during which he appears to argue with himself, repeating “That’s not gonna save you, man” – the familiar “man” injecting the necessary sneer.

“The Agent Intellect adds a subtle beauty to their already scuzzy, riff-soaked post-punk”

However, behind Casey is a band that have yet further sharped the edge of their post-punk. Under Color Of Official Right was undoubtedly a record inspired by the glory days of British post-punk, picking up on the likes of The Fall and Josef K; The Agent Intellect is borne of the same era, yes, but it’s cleaner, crisper and marginally more accessible.

On the aforementioned ‘Dope Cloud’, the band flicker between four stunning riffs, pulling the listener in, whilst still following a typical Protomartyr structure. On ‘I Forgive You’, guitarist Greg Ahee peddles a needling earworm of a riff, before bassist Scott Davidson takes over lead duty in the pre-chorus. It’s this flexibility that makes every Protomartyr song such a treat.

What stands out as the album’s best track is ‘Clandestine Time’, an expertly-executed rock n roll number, the structure of which is not dissimilar to Alligator-era The National, though naturally less orchestral. Drummer Alex Leonard batters his way through thirty seconds of symbol-bashing, before a stunning, euphoric guitar line breaks out and Casey’s deadpan delivery once again takes centre-stage.

“Behind Casey is a band that have yet further sharped the edge of their post-punk”

Penultimate track ‘Ellen’ sees Protomartyr take on a new role, extending a song to over six minutes and allowing the tension to build. What’s more is that this sees Casey sing through the eyes of his late father, about the love he imagined he felt for Ellen, Casey’s Alzheimer’s-suffering mother. It’s a truly touching moment, and an indication of what a superb frontman Casey is.

The Agent Intellect comes in at just over 40 minutes, and it’s among the best 40 minutes of rock ‘n’ roll you will hear this year. This writer can’t wait to see where it will take them next.

Alex is currently listening to ‘Burn Masculinity’ by The Spook School

Alex Neely

Follow Impact Music on Facebook and Twitter